Chapter Twenty-Nine: Fury (Part 2)

Chapter Twenty Nine: Fury (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Heathens by Twenty One Pilots 

☾☾☾

Bang

There was screaming, none of which belonged to me. The world slowed down. My body jerked in place as if someone had punched me. Hard. The breath was knocked out of my chest as I let out something between a cry and a gasp, my jaw gaping as the pain spread through my body in a milli-second. My hands flew up to my upper abdomen, a warm liquid seeping onto my palms. The screaming continued and my ears drowned out everything but my racing pulse. My eyes trailed up to meet Matt's gaze. My eyes began watering as I cocked my head in confusion, staring at the teen as the pain slammed into me like a truck. My legs buckled and I found myself falling to my knees. 

I peeled my hands away from my side and held them out in front of me. They were stained in warm, sticky blood. 

Red. Dark red. There was blood covering my small fingers and caked in the creases and crevices of my palms.

I blinked the flashback out of my vision and looked back up to Matt, my face paling considerably. He stared at me, a hint of enjoyment in his eyes. Like the flip of a switch, the world around me had fastened to its normal pace and a bombardment of noises flooded my ears. 

"Okay! It's sent! It's sent!" Scott screeched, his hands trembling as he shoved the phone back to Matt. Scott rushed over to my side, crouching down beside me. He began repeating over and over that I would be okay. I didn't need werewolf hearing to know he knew that was a lie.

I prepared myself for the worst. I knew within the next thirty seconds the real pain would hit me. It was what happened last time. The body goes into such a state of shock at first you can only feel the impact of the bullet. Like you've been continuously punched. The burning is next. Within minutes, the real pain takes over and you want nothing more than to die.

I wasn't prepared.

Scott helped me to my feet but standing sent waves of nausea throughout my body. I slipped myself from Scott's grasp, carefully backing up and leaning against the wall beside the doorway where Jackson stood. I sickeningly prayed for him to paralyze me so I wouldn't feel the pain that crept up my body. I could feel the fabric of my dress wet and stick to my skin. I looked down, seeing the hole in the black material. Beyond that, all I could see was blood. The hole was a few inches above and to the side of the bottom of my rib cage—just inches from where my original scars had been. The bullet pressed against layers and layers of thick scar tissue—which was currently the only thing on my side that gave me hope. There was so much scar tissue present from my injuries inflicted by Cadwell that at the moment, it was the only thing protecting vital organs. The pain continued, my head spinning and threatening to have me lose consciousness. 

"Next room. Now." Matt snipped at my brother. With one last worried and sympathetic look, Scott reluctantly obliged. Jackson stayed outside the doorway and kept watch. A quiet, shaking breath passed through my lips as the stinging in my side escalated to become unbearable. With my feet unable to keep myself up any longer, I slid down the wall and onto the floor.

Every movement made me want to rip my organs out.

Biting down on the inside of my cheek, I moved my legs once more, resting my right leg against the floor and tucking it under my left. Aching pain shot through my body. I could feel the metal pressing against nerves. 

"Hayley." Stiles called. I ignored him. My ears rang with the sound of my own pulse as my fingers soon found their way from my side to inside my wound to fish for the bullet. I gnawed down on my lip, preventing myself from screaming out. My stomach churned, my throat burning as bile bubbled up. I chanted over and over in my mind that I couldn't focus on the pain, I could only focus on surviving tonight. I had to do it. For Scott. Stiles. Derek. Mom.