Chapter Thirty-Seven: Chaos Rising (Part 1)

Chapter Thirty-Seven: Chaos Rising [Part 1]

Chapter Song: Misery Business by Paramore

Regret pulsated through my veins as I wished I was still in the safety of my own bed. Yet here I was for the umpteenth time being dragged out by Scott and Stiles. Although, this time was different that our many other dangerous adventures I'd been roped into. This one might have been worse. 

"Why exactly are we going to a party where we don't know anyone?" I asked, hugging my jacket close to my body as a cold breeze blew by us. 

"For the hundredth time I've known this girl since we were babies. We used to be best friends! And since when have you turned down free alcohol?" He retorted, receiving an eye roll from me. 

"He's got a point." Scott interjected with a shrug as we approached the myster

"Besides, we need one night off. No Allison. No Lydia. No Derek. Just us celebrating Heather's birthday." Stiles happily encouraged. The mention of Derek's name pricked at my skin, frustrating me more than words could explain. I had tried my best to avoid him as well as avoid thinking about him at all costs. I was mad, disappointed, and overall confused. It was infuriating that after everything we had been through, Derek still felt the need to hide information of that level of importance from us. He spent all summer staring me in the face and pretending like everything was fine. Knowing he lied boiled my blood and ached my heart. And then there was what he heard regarding the door. Derek no questions, there was no doubt about it. The thought of telling him about what I had been hiding from him all these months twisted my gut, sending waves of overpowering anxiety through my body every time I thought about it. I had lied to him as well, shrugging it off when he asked why it looked like I hadn't been sleeping over the summer. But my lie was different. It was justified...right? 

I had used Isaac waking up as a distraction and bolted from the Hale House following us learning Derek had hid the Alpha Pack from us. I needed time to process everything, but most of all, I needed time to understand why the Hale House alpha-graffitied door had been haunting my dreams. For months it had been an unknown door that left me with a hundred questions as to what it meant. And although my 'what' had been answered, I'd been left with another thousand open ended questions that needed to be solved. One of the most important questions I needed to answer was why was I being warned? Why was this happening? And what did it have to do with me? 

The only thing I did know, was that none of those questions were going to be answered tonight.

"Now that I can get behind." I responded with a faint smile. 

"See! That's what I'm talking about!" Stiles grinned, opening the door to the large home buzzing with pop music and chattering girls. 

"Stiles!" A petite blonde girl squealed the moment we stepped into the house. I closed the door behind Scott and I as Stiles stepped forward, the blonde eagerly rushing over to greet her long-time friend. 

"Hey! There's the birthday g—" The blonde cut Stiles off as she pressed her lips against him, taking him in for a lingering kiss. My jaw dropped watching the girl continue to kiss my shocked friend. Scott looked over to me, his eyes wide in disbelief. 

Heather, I presume. 

"So glad you made it." Heather smiled after breaking the kiss. 

"Me too." Stiles quickly replied, his head swirling in disbelief. 

"Come downstairs with me and help me pick out a bottle of wine." She suggested. Without a split second of hesitation, Stiles agreed and the two were off hand in hand.