Chapter Fifteen: Code Breaker (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Dream by Imagine Dragons 

Scott and I forced a now clothed Derek's arms around our shoulders and began making our way through the tunnels. Derek was weak, his body ached to walk even with our assistance. We swiftly exited the tunnels and out into the cold air of the night. Derek's breathing was heavy as he inhaled fresh air for the first time in days. The air was eerily silent, which sent a chill up my spine. I continued to look around for any signs of Kate or the other hunters. Knowing that the huntress could be back at any second caused a feeling of overwhelming anxiety to loom over me. If she caught us, we were dead. Derek's leather clad jacket pressed heavily against my bare shoulders as we continued on towards the Hale house. The wolfs breathing became heavier and heavier as he became more exhausted with each step. Derek slowed down, having Scott trek a few paces ahead as we fell behind. Derek's pace came to a halt as he slowed to catch his breath. He slid his arm off my shoulders, silently assuring me he'd be okay to walk by himself.

"Hey, hold on, hold on." Derek called out between heavy pants. Scott stopped, looking back at the two of us in hopes we would continue moving before Kate returned. Derek turned around and began looking around suspiciously. "Something doesn't feel right." He informed. I glared around the empty and silent woods surrounding us as Derek looked back to me. 

"You've got the wolf powers, you tell me." I urged, listening in for any sign of the hunters.

"I don't know, it's just seems kinda like it was—"

"No, don't say too easy!" Scott whipped around and yelled to us. "People say too easy and bad things happen. You think finding you was easy? Getting away from Allison's dad? None of this has been easy." Derek dramatically rolled his eyes at Scott's comment, giving me an inkling of hope he was beginning to heal as his attitude was slowly reappearing. 

"Fine, you're right." Derek admitted.

"Okay, let's just get out of here before Kate comes back." I added. Derek nodded. Before the three of us could move on, an object sped past a mid centimeters from my face. The object buzzed in my air as it zipped through the air. Derek's body jolted back and a deep groan escaped the back of his throat. I looked over to him standing beside me in time to watch him fall to his knees, an arrow protruding out of his chest.

"Oh my God." I gasped, my eyes darting around to see where the arrow had come from. I looked over to Scott who looked just as stunned. Just as I went to move for Derek, another arrow whizzed through the air right past me and into Derek's leg. The wolf crumbled to the ground, writhing in pain.

"Where's it coming from?" I yelled to my brother, his eyes staring into the distance as he focused in on a figure in the distance.

"Allison." He whispered. My eyes finally landed on the girl kneeling beside her huntress aunt, a bow and arrow aimed directly at us.

"Scott. Run." I gasped, seeing the brunette ready her aim. My brother stood speechless, all the air taken from his lungs as he stared at his girlfriend in utter shock.

"Scott, your eyes!" Derek loudly warned. I rushed over to my brother just as an arrow came shooting out of the darkness and towards Scott. The arrow hit the tree behind him, quickly exploding and sending us flying to the ground. I shielded my eyes as I hit the ground, the arrow emitting a bright blinding explosion of light. Through my clouded vision, I crawled over to Derek who was attempting to sit up through the pain. Derek loudly howled out through the pain, the arrow nearing his heart.

"Do you trust me?" I asked. Reluctantly, Derek met my gaze and hesitantly nodded. I inhaled deeply and grabbed hold of the arrow lodged in Derek's chest. I pressed my hand against his chest muscle and in one swift yank, I dislodged the bloody arrow from his muscle. Derek yelled out as he breathed deeply through the excruciating pain. The yells continued as he yanked the other arrow out of his thigh. I quickly pulled Derek to his feet and we scurried over to Scott. Derek grabbed Scott by the back of his suit jacket while I had my arm wrapped around Derek's waist to support him up and we proceeded on towards the Hale house, our adrenaline fueling us the entire way. I hoped, if we managed to get inside, we could possibly find something to protect ourselves with. We didn't get far onto the main grounds of the Hale house when my heels sunk into the damp earth and Derek's injured leg gave out as we came tumbling to the ground. Derek shoved Scott and I forward as he came crashing onto his stomach. Scott landed on his back with a grunt, rubbing his eyes of the light that had temporarily blinded him. I rolled over onto my side, watching Derek look at us with terror flooding his eyes.