Chapter Eighteen: Ice Pick

Chapter Seventeen: Ice Pick

Chapter Song: Eyes on Fire by Blue Foundation 

"Lydia, it's just me." I announced as I stormed into the girls bathroom, immediately hearing quiet sobs echo through the room. I looked down to see a pair of heels in the third stall. I tried pushing the door open, only to find it locked. "Lyd, come on. Open the door." I pleaded. The sobbing quieted down while the lock came undone. I pushed the door open to see Lydia sitting on the toilet seat, tears streaming down her red cheeks. Lydia blew her nose into a wad of toilet paper, tossing it to the ground beside her shoes as she rolled up another piece. Her eyes were red and puffy, she had been crying for a while. I knew the situation was bad from the moment she messaged me to meet her in here, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Lydia wouldn't let her clothes touch the grass outside, let alone a public toilet seat.

"Lydia. What happened?"

"Jackson." She sobbed, blowing her nose once more. "I, I don't know what I did." I slid my backpack off of my shoulder and placed it on the ground as I leaned against the stall. 

"What did he do to you?"

"After class he just, he came up to me in the hallway and was screaming—just yelling all this nonsense! He got so angry with me!" She continued to cry.

"Lydia, you already know he's an idiot. What was he yelling about? That you still have his house keys?" I rolled my eyes.

"No, not even that! He said I ruin everything for him. He said there was a soul killing substance in my veins. Do you think I gave him an STD? I've only slept with one other guy before him, I couldn't have!"

"Soul killing substance?" I repeated. 

"He said I was 'immune'." Lydia quoted the words with her fingers. The confused expression on my face turned rock hard as Lydia continued to sob. My face paled, letting Lydia's words sink in. "What in the holy hell is that supposed to mean? I don't freaking get it! I don't understand!" She buried her face into her hands. My teeth gritted together and I balled my fists as waves of anger flooded my body. It all made sense now.

"What does Jackson have this period?" I calmly asked. 

"Statistics I think." Lydia thought. "Why?" 

"I'm gonna go pay him a little visit."

"Thank you." Lydia sniffled, wiping away a tear with the sleeve of her evergreen dress.

"What are friends for?" I replied with a fake smile. I snatched my bag and casually walked out of the bathroom. I waited for the door to close until I started storming off towards the math hallway. My lips puckered and my heart pounded against my chest cavity.

 Jackson was giving the bite. 

I didn't want to believe it. I couldn't believe it. I found it even harder to believe that Derek would be stupid enough to bite Jackson. He knew how we all felt about Jackson. Hell, he knew how awful of a person Jackson was. And yet he still gave him the bite. The blood pumped loudly in my ears as I lingered outside the statistics classroom, awaiting Jackson to exit. The school bell soon rang and Jackson was the last student to exit the classroom, his head buried in his phone. I charged forward, shoving Jackson against a wall of lockers. He grunted in pain, dropping his phone on the linoleum. 

"What the hell McCall!" He spat.

"He bit you?" I hissed, grabbing the lapels of his cashmere sweater and shoving him against the locker again. "He bit you and you couldn't think of mentioning it to us?" Jackson scoffed.