Chapter Twenty Eight: Fury (Part 1)

Chapter Song: Tessellate by Alt-J

☾☾☾

"Faster!" I urged Stiles as he drove down a winding road that lead to the Stilinski home. Even with Stiles pushing double the speed limit, it wasn't enough. 

"Hayley, what does it look like I'm doing?" He shot back.

"Matt could be in Canada by now, Stiles. He knows we know." I huffed, running a hand through my hair.  I turned to face Scott in the backseat. "What are we going to do?"

Scott reluctantly shook his head, "I don't know."

☾☾

"So this kid is the real killer?" Sheriff Stilinski rose a brow, glaring down Matt's picture in last years yearbook. We all stood hovering over Stiles' desk, staring at Matt's smiling picture and admitting to the Sheriff that somehow we knew who was responsible for all the murders in town. 

"Yeah." Stiles sighed. Scott and I nodded in unison.

"No." Sheriff immediately refuted. 

"Dad, yes!"

"No."

"Dad, yes! Everybody knows the police look for ways to connect victims in a murder, okay? So all you have to do is, like, look through the transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common!" Stiles explained. 

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter, Kara, wasn't in Harris' class."

"Yeah, alright, okay. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?" Stiles asked.

"No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything!" Sheriff defended. Stiles stammered his words in frustration. "Do you two believe this?" The father son duo looked over to us. 

"It's really hard to explain how we know this, but you just have to trust us. We know it's Matt." Scott nodded. The Sheriff looked to me as Stiles threw jumbled words at him.

"He's telling the truth." I agreed. At this point, telling the Sheriff about how exactly we knew would have been more convincing than the way we were doing it. But we couldn't exactly say 'hey, Sheriff, we saw Matt with the giant supernatural lizard that's doing all the killings, he's the one'.

"He took Harris' car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and if enough of the victims were in Harris' class, that they'd arrest him!" Stiles exclaimed.

"Alright fine." Sheriff groaned, caving to the possibility Stiles was right. "I'll allow the remote possibility—only on one condition! I need a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Stiles cried. There was a pause as Sheriff shook his head. Scott and I grew silent, unsure of the motive. "Our swim team sucks! They haven't one in like...six years." I gritted my teeth as Stiles' lame and half assed excuse lost his father completely. 

"They really do." I reluctantly agreed, pursing my lips. "Just...really bad..." I grimaced. 

"Okay, we don't have a motive yet but you have to believe us." 

"What do you want me to do?"

"We need to look at the evidence." Scott said. 

"Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work."