Chapter Fourteen: Code Breaker (Part 1)

Chapter Song: Who Are You Really by Mikky Ekko 

Saturday came and went, and soon both Scott and I found ourselves rushing to get ready for the formal. Mom was in Scott's room, helping him get ready, and I was currently running around my room in search of a bottle of hairspray. I ransacked my fifth drawer, swatting products out of the way until I found the sleek black bottle. I groaned loudly, shaking the bottle only to find it empty.

"Mom." I cried out, while ransacking my fifth drawer in search for a bottle of hairspray. I swatted products out of the way until I found the sleek black bottle. I groaned loudly, shaking the bottle to find it empty. I rushed out of the bathroom and into the hallway. "Mom! Please tell me you have extra hairspray." I stopped in Scott's doorway and pointed at my freshly curled hair. "Oh God. Dude, put some clothes on!" I shielded my eyes, seeing Scott standing dumbfounded in his boxers while mom sewed a rip in his pants.

"I could say the same to you!" He cried in retaliation, pointing at my black spandex shorts and tight red tank top that left little to the imagination. I rolled my eyes.

"Mom. Hairspray." I reminded, getting back onto the subject.

"Top drawer in my bathroom." Without another word from her, I rushed into her bathroom and snatched the small black aerosol can and sprayed it generously all over my curls. On the way back to my room, I could hear mom talking to Scott about Allison. It wasn't their usual kind of conversation either, it was heartfelt. Whatever Scott was thinking, I knew it was somewhere along the lines of that he might lose Allison to Peter. And not in a love triangle kind of way, more of the throat ripping out kind of way.

☾☾☾

"Hayley, Stiles is here!" Mom called from downstairs. I glared at the mirror in front of me, standing uncomfortably in my black heels as I began having second thoughts about, well...everything. While I began doubting my outfit choice for the night and wondered if I should have chanced, my real concern was more like if I should really go to the formal at all. With Derek still missing and Peter still lurking in the shadows, I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach about tonight. I swiped a nude lipstick across my lips, before shooting myself a fake smile in the mirror. It was a stupid school dance, I silently repeated to myself as the uneasy feeling in my stomach churned. What could go wrong?

"Oh my God." Mom squealed after I rushed down the stairs in hopes to make it out the front door without her catching me. Too late, I was caught red handed. "Look at you! My baby looks so grown up." She mused. "I need to take a picture. Where's the camera?" She began looking around. Stiles began honking outside.

"Later, mom. Don't want to keep Stiles waiting!" I called as I flew out the door. My eyes immediately fell on the beat up Jeep where Lydia sat shotgun with a dramatic frown. Her face lit up when she laid her eyes on me, thankful someone was saving her from her unwanted date. Stiles head poked out from behind her and smiled. I waived my fingers, shooting the two a toothy smile.

☾☾☾

My legs ached as I stepped out of the cramped back seat of the Jeep. I ran my hands down my dress, straightening out the lace fabric, and looked around the parking lot. It was packed, most of the school had ended up showing up to the formal. Smiling fancily dressed couples walked into the gymnasium hand in hand. A ping of jealousy arose in my stomach, mixing with the uneasiness that had failed to subside. I couldn't happen but continue to worry if Peter would show up. If he was planning to use Allison as leverage, he could make his move at any time. Every person—every happy couple walking past me—could be an easy target for him. I quietly sighed, hoping to rid myself of the perturbation lingering in my chest as I continued to scan the parking lot.