Chapter Forty-Two: Unleashed [Part 2]

Chapter Song: xanny by billie eilish

☾☾☾

I anxiously jiggled my leg as I checked my phone under the lab table for the umpteenth time this hour. Following the finding of Kyle's body, I called Derek to deliver the news, yet the call went unanswered.

Hayley: Call me asap

Hayley: They found the kid from last night. He was killed just like the rest of them.

Hayley: Derek seriously. Call me.

There was a deep ache in my chest cavity. A threatening aura engulfed me, the feeling that something was gravely wrong growing stronger with each passing, unanswered minute. Yet, there was a part of me that mocked how pathetic this was. Two hours of unanswered texts and calls, and I was turning into a maniac. Oh God, am I heading into stage five clinger territory? My leg jiggled faster.

"Hayley...Hayley!" Scott hissed beside me. I whipped my head towards him, eyes wide and caught off guard.

"What?" I whispered, eyes flickering between Scott and Mr. Harris, who stood at the front of the room with his back to the classroom.

"Your leg." He eyed me bouncing leg. "It's annoying." I dramatically rolled my eyes.

"You're annoying." I shot back. My eyes flicked back to Mr. Harris, my gaze stopping at Isaac sitting at the lab table in front of us. His body was stiff, his shoulders tight as he balled his hands into tight fists. His breathing was short and harsh as he poorly managed to control his anger.

"Did you get ahold of Derek?" Scott asked.

I shook my head. "Did you talk to him?" I whispered, my head nodding towards Isaac. Scott shook his head.

"Alright." Harris called. "Since inertia is a subject of which you all know plenty, why don't we start with 'momentum'?"

"They're here for a reason," Scott whispered as he leaned forward on the lab table towards Isaac. "Give me a chance to figure it out before you do anything, okay? Isaac?" Isaac's jaw squared as he clenched his teeth together.

"Danny." Harris called out abruptly."What do we know about momentum?"

"It's a product of mass and velocity and the more man—"

"Mr. Harris can I use the bathroom, please?" Isaac called out, interrupting Danny's answer. Harris motioned to the door.

"Shit." Scott and I muttered under our breath. Without hesitation, Scott shot up from his seat.

"I have to go to the bathroom too!"

"One at a time." Harris refused as Isaac slipped out of the classroom.

But I—I really have to go." Scott stuttered, his eyes flickering back and forth between Mr. Harris and the classroom door. "Like medical emergency have to go."

"Mr. McCall, if your bladder suddenly exploded and urine began to pour from every orifice, I would still respond 'one at a time'." Harris calmly responded, causing me to grimace at his graphic description. "Is that enough hyperbole for you or would you like me to come up with something more vivid?"

"No, no. That's pretty good." Scott sighed. Defeated, he took a seat. Scott quietly sighed once again, his head inquisitively.

"What?" I whispered, watching Scott concentrate.

"I hear something." He hesitated.

"Something? What something?" Within seconds, a loud metal bang and groan answered my question. Harris paused his speech, his head whipping towards the door. He rushed out of the room, the rest of the class pouncing out of their seats and following suit. Scott and I looked to each other in fear before rushing out with the rest of the group.