Chapter Seven: Night School Part 1

Chapter Seven: Night School, Part 1

Chapter Song: Panic Room by Aura 

☾☾☾

Mondays were usually a dreaded day, but not at the McCall house. It was another laidback night at the quaint townhouse located in the Beacon Hill neighborhood of Boston. Raymond 'Ray' McCall had just arrived home from work and Candace McCall was prepping her favorite Monday night usual—chicken parmesan. 

"Long day at work, hun?" Candace asked her husband, noticing the stress mark in his forehead.

"Rough, still nothing." He sighed, watching me walk through the door and brush snow off my emerald pea coat. "But, it makes it all worthwhile to come back to this little ducky." Dad smiled to me as he watched me shed my coat and hat. Raymond McCall was one of the hands of the Boston Police Department. And in my mind, that was a pretty big deal. Although he wouldn't tell me much about his cases with me being only seven—almost eight—I did happen to know he had been working on one of Bostons biggest cases ever—an individual that had been terrorizing the entire city for weeks on end with his brutal killings. Raymond McCall had been working tirelessly to take the criminal down—and in the eyes of a seven year that basically made him a superhero. Raymond—dad—sat down at the kitchen tale, opening up his briefcase before discussing more information about that case with his wife. Oblivious to it all, I hopped up on the kitchen counters and began flipping through mom's cookbook.

"Hayley, what did I say about sitting on the counters?" Mom softly reminded, walking over to me and tapping her fingernails against the granite.

"Sorry." I mumbled, putting the cookbook down but still refusing to getting off the counter. Mom happily rolled her eyes and smiled, messing up the top of my hair and tending herself back to the stove to stir a pot of water.

"How was Lucy's, kiddo?" Dad called from the kitchen table.

"Good. She showed me her new mermaid Barbie I've been wanting forever now. It was really cool." I whined, toying with the hem of my sweater.

"Well your birthday's coming up, you never know what you might get." A smile tugged at moms lip.

"But I can't wait that long! They'll have a new one out by then." I exclaimed with a dramatic sigh. Mom and dad looked to each other before smiling at my childish ways. The doorbell rang, quickly catching our attention.

"I'll get it." Dad stated, getting up from the table. He shrugged as his wife looked over to him, curious to who would be visiting at dinner time.

"Who knows, maybe if you do really well on that science test tomorrow, you'll find a surprise when you get home." Mom teased. Curious as to who the unknown visitor could be, I ignored mom's comment and jumped off the counter. I followed my dad into the foyer where a man dressed in all black walked through the front door, locking it behind him. Maybe it was because I was only seven years old, or maybe it was because dad hadn't reacted to the man walking in that I didn't think anything of it. That was until he quickly pulled an object out from his belt. And just like that, all I could hear was a loud echo in my ears.

Boom.

☾☾☾

Boom.

Metal crashed against metal as the front doors of the school slammed shut.

"Are you stupid? You just risked your life for a piece of metal?" Scott shouted to Stiles. Their voices sounded far away as I stood frozen. My fingers tingled as they began to numb. My heart pounded against my rib cage so furiously I began to wonder if this was what a heart attack felt like. My breath was trapped inside my lungs, I could hardly breath.