Chapter 2: Second Chance at First Line

Chapter Two: Second Chance at First Line

Chapter Song: Dangerous by Big Data

☾☾☾

Avoiding Scott had been harder than I thought. I needed space. A whole world of it, really. I needed time to process, not to mention reevaluate life itself. Every thought and belief I had was thrown to the wind with the simple fact the supernatural really existed. And within a matter of hours, my whole life was flipped upside down. Again. 

I had hid myself in my room, my bed becoming my safe haven while I drowned myself in my thoughts. It didn't last more than two days. Being that Scott and I lived in the same house, I quickly learned dodging him wasn't exactly an option. I finally decided to swallow my own fear and help him through this—even though I wasn't exactly so sure how to help him. Hell, I wasn't sure of anything at this point. 

"I'm back." I called as I walked in the front door, keys jingling in hand. I dropped my backpack to the ground with a sigh. "Thank God." I mumbled, thankful the day of school and work had finally come to an end. Mom came rushing down the stairs dawned in a pair of navy scrubs with her purse hanging over her shoulder.

"How was work?" Mom asked, reaching the bottom stair. 

"The usual." I shrugged.

"Has Scott ever taken any drugs?" She immediately questioned. Uh—wait what? I stopped in my place, taken off guard by the unexpected question. Mom continued as I stared at her with a more than confused expression on my face. "Or is he on any right now? You'd tell me if he was, right?"

"Yeahhhh," I dragged on, "I'm gonna go shower." I avoided.

"You're not on any, right?" Mom awkwardly added with a laugh. I raised my brows and turned around once I reached the second stair. Mom and I looked at each other in silence before she laughed the situation off. "I figured you weren't. I'm a good mom. A good mom whose got to get to work, crap I'm late. Bye, baby I'll be back later." Mom darted out the door and left me alone in the foyer in a state of utter confusion. That was by far the weirdest conversation we've ever had. I trudged up the stairs and into Scott's room to find him lying helplessly on his bed.

"Should I be concerned that mom's asking me if you're pill popping?" 

"No." He heavily sighed.

"God, who died in here?" I asked, seeing how depressed Scott looked.

"Any future I had with Allison." He whined.

"What, she didn't accept your apology?"

"No, worse. Her dad is one of the hunters from the woods. He's the one that shot me." My jaw slacked, wondering momentarily if Scott was screwing with me. The look on his face made me realize he was one hundred percent serious. 

"If she knows something, you can't even go near her." I stumbled over my words, still shocked. 

"Don't remind me!" Scott cried. "I like her so much. This can't be happening."

"Okay here's a more reasonable solution: how about you stay away from her until you learn how to control yourself."

"Which could be never for all we know."

"I'm not saying I trust Derek Hale, but he did seem to know how to control himself. Maybe you should ask him for help just so you can get through the game on Saturday."

"The dudes threatening me into not playing!! He creeps me out."

"Yeah well you heard him, you guys are brothers now. You'll probably go hunt deer together and play fetch." I smirked, unsuccessfully lightning the situation.