Chapter Thirty-Nine: Fireflies (Part 1)

Chapter Thirty Nine: Fireflies (Part 1)

Chapter Song: Glory and Gore by Lorde

☾☾☾

Less than an hour after the bank incident, Derek and I found ourselves standing at the preserve entrance. Frustration was dense in the air, so thick it could be cut with a knife. Cold wind nipped at my bare arms, causing goosebumps to run up the trail of my spine. 

"You lost them?" Derek exclaimed as he pressed the phone to his ear. I could vaguely hear Scott on the other line scramble to come up with a reply as to how he lost the two rabid wolves he had run after. Nervously, I rubbed the palms of my freezing hands against my jean clad thighs. Derek let out an exasperated sigh. 

"Wasn't exactly the plan." Derek's voice cracked. "Look, we're at t he trails at the entrance of the preserve. Can you meet us here?" There was a pregnant pause as Scott responded on the other line, then Derek finally hung up the phone, sliding it back into the pocket of his jeans. I glanced over him, the stress lines in his forehead prominent. He wasn't just stressed two rabid werewolves had been released into the wild—he was in shock his thought to be dead sister was one of them. To no fault of his own, of course. It wasn't every day a family member of his comeback from the dead. 

Now to think of it, maybe it was a more common occurrence.

"I don't get it." I finally spoke up, shaking my head as the night's events replayed themselves before my eyes. "She's your younger sister?" Derek swallowed a hard lump in his throat. The question noticeably overwhelming him. 

"She was—she is." He corrected, pausing to get his words together. "I don't get it either. I thought she was dead."

"This whole time." I voiced. "It's been what, almost nine years since the fire now?"

Derek nodded sharply. "I don't know why—or how—she'd show up now. And how of all places, how she ended up was trapped with my Betas."

"You can always ask her tomorrow." I shot the Alpha a one sided smile, hoping the optomissiom would ease his nerves. 

Derek shook his head once more, his jaw squaring. "I'm worried there won't be a tomorrow for her. I don't know what's going to happen with her and Boyd. I don't know if we can control them."

"We're going to have to." I interjected. "It's the only option we have." 

"Hayley..." Derek began. He soon found himself interrupted by the rustling of bushes behind us echoing in the quiet night. I spun myself around, my body tense as I couldn't help but wonder if Boyd and Cora had found us. A figure emerged from the darkness. 

"Isaac." I realized as he approach. 

"I didn't see Boyd anywhere on the way here." He informed. "The girl..." He hesitated, unsure if he wanted to know the pending answer. 

"It's my sister." Derek informed. Isaac's body noticeably tensed.

"So if she's the girl, Erica..." He slowly nodded, the realization hitting into him like a truck. Isaac's sapphire eyes shifted to me. "You were right." His voice was low, filled with regret. I reluctantly nodded. Isaac clenched his jaw, avoiding our gaze. 

"Right..." His voice trailed off. His eyes wandering to his shoes as his mind wandered to another galaxy. And in that moment, as he tried his hardest to feign the pain, I watched Isaac Lahey's heart shatter before my very own eyes.

☾☾☾

My finger nails anxiously drummed against the leather steering wheel of the Camaro as the sound of tires rolling against pavement lulled me into my thoughts. Derek, Isaac, and Scott had dispersed as Boyd and Cora's scent had once again reappeared. Derek, with much reluctance, had given me his car keys to follow on wheel. Their efforts proved futile as the boys had lost the Betas once more, their scent disappearing in the wind.