Chapter Twenty Four: Restraint

Chapter Song: I Know You Care by Ellie Goulding 

☾☾☾

A restraining order. 

The evil snake had filed a restraining order against us. After we tried to help him. That's what we deserved for trying to be help Jackson Whittemore. 

It had been years since I kept silent for this long. The moment the Sheriff uttered the words 'restraining order', I felt myself close down.  I will not this, I will not that...The Sheriff listed out everything Scott, Stiles, and I couldn't do around Jackson now that we legally were bound to stay away from him. 500 feet away to be exact. 

With mom and Scott at my heel, I bumped past the bickering father-son Stilinski duo. I paused for a brief moment, stealing a quick peak at the more than disappointed Sheriff. 

"Move." Mom demanded. I quietly sighed, but didn't dare to open my mouth. I silently sighed, continuing forward, a veil of shame hanging over my brother and I. 

"Okay, stop. Both of you." Mom ordered. She paused, waiting for us to turn to face her. "It's not just this—although a restraining order is a new low I didn't think either of you would reach quite this level. It's everything on top of it. It's the completely bizarre behavior, the late nights coming home, having to beg Mr. Harris for you making up that Chemistry test, Scott—"

"I missed a Chemistry test?" He asked, dumbfounded. 

"Scott." I muttered quietly under my breath, closing my eyes and sighing in defeat. I knew that response would set mom off. Stiles, hearing the fight, came in from the other hallway to peak in on our conversation.

"Really, Scott? Really?" Mom cried. "I have to ground you. I have to ground both of you! You're both grounded!" 

Grounded

The word was foreign to me, and the word was especially foreign to mom. Melissa McCall was not ever one to ground her kids. She had always wanted to be the cool mom, the mom that was slack yet kept her kids tight and orderly. Grounding wasn't in her vocabulary, but as of today, that had changed.

"What about work?" Scott, who was just as surprised as me, asked. 

"Fine. But other than that, nothing. And no TV."

"My TV's broken." Scott shrugged.

"I use Netflix." I did the same.

"Then no computer!" Mom fought. I crossed my arms tightly over my chest, wishing this conversation to be over already.

"We need it for school." I reminded in a monotone voice. There wasn't much mom could take away. Bikes? No. iPod? No. Phone? Hell no. Mom had always gone crazy just at the thought of not being able to get ahold of us within five minutes. 

"Fine! Then no...no Stiles!" I did somewhat of a double take, wondering if I heard her correctly. Did she just threatened us with no...Stiles?

"What! No Stiles?" Stiles cried, rushing forward.

"No Stiles!" She finalized in a yell. I gritted my teeth together, wishing I could shrivel up and disappear from this conversation. 

"And no more car privileges, give me your keys." She ordered to the two of us. Scott reached into his pocket, slowly handing over the ring of keys. "Give them to me!" She shouted, snatching them from Scott's grasps. I flinched. In the ten years of living with my adopted mother,I had not once seen her yell at Scott or I like this. Even when she was with Rafael, she never yelled like this.