Chapter Seventeen: Shape Shifter

Chapter Sixteen: Shape Shifter

 Chapter Song: Kill of the Night by Gin Wigmore 

"Hey, I liked that song." I pouted as Lydia clicked off the radio.

"Good, you can listen to it later. We're here, genius." Lydia chuckled as she snatched her purse from the back seat of the car. My brows furrowed as I looked around, noticing we had finally arrived at school. Shaking myself out of my daydream, I quickly squeezed myself out of the cramped, red Beetle.

"Sometime before the end of the day, Hayley." Lydia announced, staring off into the schools courtyard where Allison stood waving. Lydia quickly trotted off in her high heels, eager to see her friend.

"Lydia." I groaned, grabbing my backpack from the passenger seat and rushing off after her. I knew for a fact Allison hadn't talked to Lydia in person since before she disappeared. The police had been so far down Lydia's throat, she barely had time to talk to me. Our only real conversation had taken place on the way to school, with Lydia being quite cryptic about the details of her disappearance.

"Are you sure it's not too early for you to be back?" Allison asked, continuing their conversation as I caught up to the two girls.

"Psh, no." Lydia casually remarked. "It's like it never even happened. Don't remember a thing." She casually shrugged.

"Wait, really?" Allison asked, eyeing me with concern. It had been the same expression plastered upon my face when Lydia had told me the same thing in the car. The red head had no recollection of the past two days, her only memory beginning when she showed up to the crime scene where she was found. She hadn't remembered escaping the hospital, being in the woods, or even the hours leading up to her disappearance. While the fact she hadn't remembered a thing was confusing, it was more concerning than anything.

"They called it a fugue state, basically in a way of saying 'we have no idea why you were running through the woods naked for two days'. But, personally, I don't care." Lydia shrugged once more. I bit the inside of my cheek, knowing that Lydia wanted to put this all past her. "I lost nine pounds." Lydia flaunted, showing off her skinnier than usual body. Allison laughed at her friends optimism.

"That's one way to look at it." I suggested.

"Are you ready for this?" She asked, placing a hand on Lydia's forearm. Lydia, as calm as ever, flashed a smile.

"Please, it's not like my aunts a serial killer." Lydia retorted, walking into the school. Allison's jaw dropped in astonishment. I looked over to the brunette, who stared at me in shock, questioning if Lydia had really just mentioned that.

"Let it go." I patted Allison on the back, trying to relief Lydia's snide comment. "Let it go." Allison let out a breath and the two of us continued in. We stopped short beside Lydia, who we found had stopped straight in her tracks. The hallway of the school became dead silent as hundreds of eyes landed on the red head. Eyes darted between her and others, everyone waiting for someone to react first. Lydia stared out at the crowd, her doe eyes large with fear.

"Maye it's the nine pounds." Allison whispered into Lydia's ear. Lydia quickly pursed her lips and adjusted her stature. Her lips curled up into a confident smirk as she flipped her hair and strutted off down the hallway without a care.

☾☾☾

"Hey, hey, hey!" Stiles voice rang in my ears as I sashayed down the lacrosse field. While I dug through my backpack in search of my headphones, before I realized it I found my hyperactive best friend tackling me to the ground.

"Oof." We tumbled down in unison.

"Dude!" I exclaimed, throwing my hands up in exasperation. Stiles stumbled up, wiping a hand down his face.