Chapter Twenty: Abomination (Part 2)

Chapter Song: Never Let Me Go by FATM

The thud of my footsteps echoed off the walls as I made my way through the schools dark and empty hallways. Loud cheers and the blows of the referees whistles could be heard in the far distance as the game continued on. 

My brows furrowed as I approached the main office, finding the door wide open. Gerard's keys were carelessly left lodged in the doorknobs locked. I quickened my pace, entering Gerard's office and looking around to find it unoccupied. 

"Stiles?" I called out in a whisper. I was met back with silence. My brows tightened once more. Stiles may have been stupid, but he was too smart to leave the door open, especially with the keys out of his site. I stepped out of the office and looked around, my eyes finally fixating on the opposite end of the hallway. A shiver slithered down my spine as an overwhelming feeling overtook me that something was wrong. I slowly began walking, feeling gravitated towards the end of the hallway as if it had a spell over me. I finally reached the end, a pair of double doors blocking my way. My mind screamed at me to run away as far as I could as I glared down the silver door handle.  A strong urged flooded my body to open the doors and go into what I noted to be the school's indoor pool. My stomach churned into knots as my hands landed on the door handles, my head cocking as I stared it down. A sickening sense of deja vu was next to wash over me as a heaviness sat on my chest. 

With a deep breath, I swiftly yanked the doors open.

I absentmindedly took a few steps into the pool hall, the deja vu sending tingles through my extremities. The sounds of water lapping echoed slowly in my ears. The quietness that surrounded me soon faded away as my gaze landed on Derek and Stiles wading in the middle of the pool. 

"Hayley! Get in the pool!" Stiles screamed as my senses finally came back full force. My brows furrowed tightly as I blinked in confusion, taking another couple steps forward. My lips parted, finding myself unable to speak as I noticed something was wrong as Stiles held Derek up in the water. "Get in now!" Stiles yelled.

"Go!" Derek bellowed as he bobbed in the water. A hissing noise echoed throughout the room. I craned my head over to find a large, green, lizard like creature lurking in the corner of the room. Its body was covered in scales with its scaly tail pointed down, signaling it felt threatened. By me. My body came stiff, as if my feet were bolted to the ground. 

"Hayley, go!" A low, guttural hiss slipped through its mouth as the creature and I made eye contact. A shiver slithered down my spine as its beady, yellow eyes observed my every breath. I slowly began shedding my jacket as the creature scraped its razor sharp claws against the floor like a bull. I slowly dropped my jacket to the ground, not taking my eyes off the creature as I did so. The creature suddenly let out a shrill, high pitched scream before it began charging towards me.

"Hayley, run!" Derek shouted.

I gasped, taking off in a run with the creatures ragged breaths close behind me. I leaped into the pool, the cold chlorine swallowing me down to the near bottom. I kicked my legs and arms, pushing myself up to the top. My head broke the surface and I immediately heaved for air. 

"What--what is that thing?" I gasped, wiping the pool water from my eyes. I quickly swam over to where Derek and Stiles were wading.  "Oh god, that's the thing from the service center isn't it?" I questioned to Stiles as I moved wet stands of hair from sticking to my cheeks. Stiles reluctantly nodded.  

"Help me hold him up." Stiles pleaded, his head bobbing under the water as he struggled to keep a hold on Derek. Seeing the confused look on my face as I didn't hesitate to take Derek's arm and wrap it around my shoulder, Stiles elaborated. "It swiped the back of his neck. He's paralyzed." I looked over to Derek, praying what Stiles said wasn't true.