Chapter Five: The Tell

Chapter Song: A World Alone by Lorde

☾☾☾

"Where the hell have you been? Do you realize I've texted you ninety times?" Stiles asked as he rushed up beside me. 

"No, I shut my phone off after text eighty-seven." I retorted with a smirk as I continued the walk to my locker. 

"Hello! Have you not talked to Scott?" He asked. I gritted my teeth together, having avoided telling Stiles that I was still fuming at Scott for excusing the Argents' actions against the Hales. 

"I've been busy." I simply stated, finally reaching my locker and imputing the combination.

"You didn't hear anything about what happened last night?" My muscles tensed at the concern in Stiles' voice. I paused, looking over to him with furrowed brows. 

"No...what happened?"

"Jackson and Lydia got attacked at Videos2C."

"What? Are they okay?" I exclaimed.

"Yeah, Jackson's here but Lydia's at home. She's pretty freaked." The teen sighed.

"Who attacked them?" I asked stupidly. Stiles looked at me with a raised brow. "Or should I ask what attacked them?"

"Scott said it was the alpha. I'm going to Lydia's later to ask her what she remembers if you want to come."

"Yeah, yeah sure." I nodded. The shrill noise of the school bell echoed through the hallway.

"Harris will kill me if I'm late, I'll see ya' in class." Stiles ran off into the crowd of disappearing students. I flipped through my chemistry folder looking for the homework due in mere minutes. Parent teacher conferences were tonight and if I failed to turn in the work, I was going to hear about it later. 

"Hey." A peppy voice rang out. I looked up, finding Allison walking over to me with a bright smile on her face. I quickly reached up to the top shelf of my locker and grabbed a pink envelope.

"Hey, birthday girl." I smiled, handing her the envelope. Her smile fell. "Okay, that was not the reaction I was expecting." I chuckled.

"Who told you?" She pouted.

"Lydia." Allison sighed, she should have known Lydia couldn't keep a secret if her life depended on it. And while Lydia had informed me days ago, I was almost positive the entire school knew by now.

"Aren't you supposed to be happy? This is like everyone's favorite day of the year." 

"I actually hate my birthday. It's probably my least favorite day of the year." Allison tucked a brown curl behind her ear, avoiding my gaze. "I don't know, I always have. It's because I'm seventeen. It's embarrassing."

"I don't think it's that bad."

"To be honest, when Scott told me you're seventeen too I felt a little better!" She smiled, her eyes lighting up. My smile dropped as I paused rummaging through my locker, turning to look at Allison.

"Wait, what?" My brows furrowed together. "Scott told you what?" 

"He told me you were almost eighteen...was I not supposed to say that?" She nervously bit her lip. I felt a mixture of feelings—mostly that of nausea and pure anger—roll through my body. That idiot. I was going to kill him if the alpha didn't get to him first. Control yourself, Hayley.

"Just," I sighed, attempting to hide my rage, "not a lot of people know that."

"Crap, I'm sorry. It's just, I got held back because of the amount of times I've moved. Everyone thinks I'm stupid, it's just nice to know I'm not the only one. Oh my God, I mean, I'm not saying I think you're stupid if you did get held back—"