Chapter Forty: Fireflies (Part 2)

Chapter Songs: 

I Found by Amber Run {isaac scene} / Can't Go On Without You by Kaleo {that scene}

☾☾☾

A loud silence engulfed the Camaro as I pulled in front of the school, shifting the car into park. I inhaled a deep, shaky breath in, my eyes scaring the dark surroundings outside of the car. There was something about being at the school at night that caused anxiety to spread like wildfire through my chest. Given our track record—I couldn't blame myself. Any time we were here after dark, it somehow winded up in a potential life threatening situation. I shifted my gaze to the empty passenger seat beside me, where my small, black bad slumped against the leather. I reluctantly reached over into the bag, slipping my hand into one of the pockets and slid out a slim black object. My thumb ran over the 'N.S' engraved into the wood. It wouldn't do much against a werewolf...but at least it was something.

Just in case, I mentally promised, slipping the small pocket knife into the front pocket of my pants. 

The group had split up, racing around Beacon Hills and placing emitters throughout the town in hopes to lure the two moonstruck werewolves to the school. Slipping myself out of the car, I noticed Derek and Isaac had beaten me to getting here. The doors to the school were open, the two standing inside. A shiver ripped through my spine as I trekked up the pathway, the quietness in the air stirring an uneasy feeling in my stomach. I turned around, glancing at the Camaro parked in the abandoned lot. 

"So if that answers your question, it's me that's not related." I had admitted. The flashback rang clear as day in my memory. I could picture Derek and I leaning against his car, Deaton unconscious in the back seat...back when we thought he was the Alpha. It was like I was reliving the moment. The following screams and the heavy feeling in my legs reeled through my memory, along with images of Derek with blood pouring from his mouth. That was back when we hadn't known Peter was the Alpha. Back when I didn't have any dreams, and back when there wasn't a pack of Alpha's haunting Beacon Hills. Back when things were simpler. 

"You okay?" I flinched, Isaac's voice gripping me from my memory. I turned back towards the school to face him, the breeze nipping at my bare arms. Goosebumps crept up my spine. 

"Yeah, just..." I turned back to look at the car for a brief moment. The memories had faded as quick as they had come. "Just weird being here at night." 

"I guess." The beta shrugged.

"Are you okay enough to do this?" I asked, questioning if he was both mentally and physically up to a fight.

"I'm fine." He shrugged again. "Just rethinking the plan where we don't kill them."

"Isaac—"

"How long do you think it'll take them?" Isaac quickly cut me off in hopes to change the subject of how he was feeling. In my peripheral vision, I could see Derek nodding over to me, signaling me to meet him inside the school. 

"I don't know. I'll—I'll be right back." I assured, walking myself over to the Alpha.

"Any problems with the emitters?" Derek asked as I approached. I shook my head. In fact, placing the emitters was just about the only thing that had gone smoothly today. 

"I'm worried about him." I mentioned, my eyes following Isaac's every move as he strayed from us.

"Isaac?" He wondered. I nodded, watching Chris' SUV pull up to the scene the same time as Scott jogged onto the school grounds.