Chapter Thirty: Battlefield (Part 1)

Chapter Song: Heathens [MuteMath Edition] by 21 Pilots

☾☾☾

The adrenaline high had come and gone, leaving a sleepy haze drooping over me as I sat in Derek's passenger seat. An old shirt of Derek's was pressed against my side, soaking up the dripping blood. Through slurred words, I had joked to Derek that he didn't want me getting his car all bloody. 

He hadn't found it amusing.

My eyes fought to stay open, my eyelids feeling a hundred pounds each. Each moment I kept them open felt like an eternity, and my body ached for release. Relieving myself of the heaviness, they finally slipped shut. My bloody hand holding Derek's now ruined old t-shirt fell limp into my lap, my head lulling to the side. 

My heart was beating erratically inside my chest as I weaved between furniture and rounded corners of the townhouse. Pain shot through my entire body as I was flooded with panic, echoes of gun shots ringing out inside the house. A mans scream followed one of the shots. I whipped myself around, wide eyed as I recognized the voice. 

"Daddy?" I cried. "Daddy help!" 

"Hay-" Another shot. 

"Daddy, please!" I sobbed. 

"Please." The words spilled from my mouth in barely an audible whisper. Derek looked over to me, doin a double take when he noticed my eyes closed. 

"Hayley." He spoke up, dismissing me from the dream world I had been trapped in. "Hayley, wake up. Stay awake." He ordered. My eyes fluttered open to find myself back in the Camaro. The racing of tires replaced the sound of continuous gun shots. 

"I'm awake." I quietly replied. As Derek peeled down the roads at a hundred miles per hour, we zoomed past a blue hospital sign with an arrow pointing to the direction we were going in.

"No." I wheezed, my head barely shaking. "I told you no hospital."  My fingers squeezed the shirt in my grasp and pressed it against my side once more. 

"You have no decision in this, you're not thinking right." I looked over to Derek, who met my weak gaze.

"Only to Deaton's. No where else. My mom...she can't know." Derek's eyes loomed over me once more, assessing how ghostly pale my skin was. He hardly trusted my logic at the moment and he hated not bringing me to a professional, but he reluctantly obeyed to my orders anyways.

☾☾☾

The Camaro came to a screeching halt as we entered the animal clinic parking lot. My body limply jolted back and forth with the seat. My eyes managed to fall closed once again, growing too heavy to keep open. I could hear Derek exit the car hastily, leaving me in an uncomfortable silence. My hands fell into my lap once more, the caked blood plastered on them wafting up into my nose. The smell made my head whirl.

"It's your fault, Hayley." A familiar voice whispered into my ear as if it were coming from the back seat. My eyes jolted open, recognizing the sick voice of that belonging to James Cadwell. My heart skipped two beats, the voice echoing in my mind. Beside me, the car door swung open and Derek reached down and pulled me from my seat.

"Can you stand?" He asked. I muttered a quiet 'mhm' as I planted my feet on the ground. The sound of James' voice whispering incoherent words buzzed inside my head. I planted one of my hands on the car for support, but my knees soon buckled. Immediately, Derek gripped  my body tightly to support me. He quickly scooped me up into his arms and rushed us into the building.