Chapter 35: Royal Affair (1)

Note: This is Jungkook's past.

Jungkook was born between the love of the low aristocratic lady of the west and the King of Korea. The day he was born was a great addition to the royal family, he became the second line to the throne and was named as the Grand Prince of Taejonggung. It isn't as grand as Changdyeokgung which is the Grandest Palace made for a Crown Prince, but it made solely for him as he was born into the world.

In his early times, he loves creating ruckus inside the Palace, being the second born, he felt the need of attention from his father and mother. Though he was loved by his parents, being second-in-line to the throne has no value, unlike the first born. He somehow felt lonely in his own Palace during those times..

But his brother never left him by his side, he would often ask for him to study in secret, and play along with the daughter of their mother's best friend - Han Ji Eun. Their closest and giggly playmate.

They would often secretly sneak out of the Palace walls to watch the Annual Grand Fireworks.

There comes a time that Ji Eun was proclaimed as the Crown Princess at such a young age - in a new law of the royal family.. one can be proclaimed as the Crown Princess if the current head of state has acknowledge it's engagement.

Jungkook laughed how stupid that idea is.. to be engaged in such a young age, marrying both adolescent is ridiculous in his view, he visualize the first night of being husband and wife, he innocently think a baby would come out of a little body as soon as they kissed.

Of course, being Grand Prince doesn't mean he knows everything in the world, he is still a child back then.

Life as a Grand Prince has many perks and benefit. He can either play along without getting mobbed by academics to discuss his future-self as the head of state, like a Crown Prince does. He can do many hobbies at once, sports, defense, choose the field he wanted to expert in military.

He can do whatever he wanted... but the throne.

He can never have the attention of the people inside as much as his brother. He can never have the great authority of being the Crown Prince. And..

He cannot have the Crown Princess that he badly wish for.

But before we got to the bottom-line, we should know how it blooms.

It started with a single reunion, on the first ever celebration of the Annual Fireworks display in Gyeongbukgung, Jungkook is 21, Jung Hyun is in his late 25, and Ji Eun is 23 at that time. There has been a talk that the Ji Eun will finally arrive in the Palace for a short break just to attend his party, she already started her late college at Cambridge, to pursue the arts in history.

And on that day, he never thought of seeing her differently than a childhood friend.

"Arriving His Royal Highness, Grand Prince Jungkook of Taejonggung!"

The door opened for him as all the guest bow at his presence, he immediately saw his brother talking to an unfamiliar man as he goes in front of him to greet him.

"Jungkook, you're late!" Jung hyun chuckled as he manly hugged his brother. He misses him so much after staying in Busan for many years.

Jungkook bow his head, being the second in line, he needs to bow his head to the crown Prince, "There been a ruckus in headong that I need to prioritize before this new year's eve party,"

"Where's dad?" Jungkook asked him.

"He's at the meeting with Lieutenant Han, probably about his promotion in rank," Jung hyun said.