Chapter Seven | Family

CW: Mentions of toxicity, depression, mental abuse

Office: 8:03 pm

Endeavor and I chat while signing paperwork and siping on what seemed like my hundredth drink. I plop the pen onto the stack of paper and stretch out my arms, yawning.

"Are you tired? I can drive you home." Enji gets ready to stand up, but I motion him to sit down.

"Nope, I'm good. I'm determined to finish these stacks of paper." I crack my knuckles, looking intently at the papers.

Enji gives a hearty laugh, receiving a puzzled look from me. "I've never met somebody who enjoys doing paperwork"

"Well I gotta do my best as secretary," I chirped, saluting jokingly.

***

After a while of signing paperwork and going over emails/notes Enji glances my way, seeing a hint of sorrow on my face.

Should I ask her if she's okay? Is that overstepping it? I mean, we only just made up. Maybe it's too personal to ask—but, it could help her if she needs someone to listen to. It never hurts to ask...right?

Endeavor puts his pen down and slightly closes his laptop, gazing at me. "Is everything okay, Y/n..?"

Y/N's POV:

I was on my third cocktail, slowly increasing the amount of whiskey each refill. I didn't believe the saying, alcohol brings the truth out of people, until I felt a sudden pang of sadness swell in my chest.

I did what I always did when I felt like that; made a joke, fake laughed, and got the attention focused onto something else. But I can't bring myself to make a joke. And to make it worse, he asked me the question that breaks my shell without fail.

"Is everything okay Y/n..?"

Enji had no idea how much I hated being asked that because every time I was asked that, all years worth of pain and suppressed emotions had never failed to come flowing out. And I had nowhere to hide.

I clutch onto my pants, trying not to let emotions get the best of me. "...yeah, why wouldn't I be?"

Stupid, maybe because there's tears running down your face.

Enji gets up from his chair and walks over to where I'm sitting, placing his big, but gentle hands on my shoulders, making it all come rushing out. Crying like a lost child in the night.

Enji rubs his thumbs against my shoulders, slightly squeezing them. "Y/N. Are you okay?"

I cry even louder, my whole body shaking, as if responding to him.

"Y/N, please tell me what's wrong." Enji kneels to the side, looking me in the eyes while placing a hand on one of my balled up fists.

I slowly unravel them, looking Enji in the eyes through blurry vision. "I...I'm not fine." I felt a weight lift from my shoulders admitting it, but still felt like there was something heavy in my chest.

"Do you want to talk about it..?" Enji said, holding out his hand like he did before.

"M—mhm...yeah." I take his hand, slowly pulling me out the chair and into his chest. I wail, finally feeling the comfort I've always longed for from my parents—somebodyanybody.

Enji puts one hand across my back and the other, my head, holding me close. "Let it all out. Talk to me when you're ready, okay?"