Chapter Thirty Six | Brainstorms and Conclusions

Meanwhile...

All the colleagues rush out their respective departments and offices, all rushing down to the lobby to discuss a very important matter.

"They're definitely dating!" A colleague called out, slamming their money on the table.

"How would you know? They could just be friends!" One yelled back, placing their money on the opposite table.

"Friends? They weren't even talking last time any of us heard!" Another reminded, a smug look on his face.

"So—they could've made up in private—you don't know!" One colleague said, pointing an accusing finger at the opposing side.

"And neither do you!" One shot back, returning the accusing-finger-pointing.

Hiroko spreads out her arm, gaining the attention of everyone. "Alright, shush! If you think that they're dating, put your bets here..."

"...and if you think they're not dating, put your bets over here," Daiki finished, glaring daggers at Hiroko.

A colleague walks up to Hiroko, clinging onto her sleeve. "Tell them, Hiroko...! Tell them what you told me about boss!"

"What are you talking about?" The colleagues start to slowly turn their heads in their direction, heads tilted.

Another colleague walks closer, squishing past the frozen ones. "Yeah, what about boss? What did you see?"

Hiroko holds her chin up high, a smug look painted across her face. "Well, for your information..."

Dramatic Storytelling Commencing~

Hiroko's POV: Hallway

I stop shortly in front of the door, softly rapping my knuckles against it. "Boss?"

"H...uh?"

"I take that as a yes, then," I say, to no one in particular. When I open the door and walk in, Enji's on the floor, hanging his head low. "Uh...bo—"

"I guess you're still mad at me, huh?" I look at boss, not sure if he's in the right mind, until I see the litter of bottles next to him and on the desk. "Can't even call me by my name anymore?"

What is boss talking about? I don't even know his last name. Or his first.

I don't say anything. Mostly because if I do, then he would realize that I'm definitely not who he's talking about and that would be awkward, and because I want to see who this person is he's talking about.

"I guess that's expected...it's not like you owe me your time..." Boss says, pressing the tip of the bottle against his lips and throwing his head back, inhaling the drink.

Boss drops the now empty expensive looking bottle onto the carpet floor, his hand fumbling around for the other one next to his thigh, opening and getting ready to chug that one too.

I walk around the opposite side of the loveseat, not wanting to risk getting caught. He may be drunk, but I doubt the number hero's senses are so dulled by the alcohol.

Boss lowers his hand and rests the bottle on his thigh, clearing his throat. "I feel awful after what I did to you that day...it eats at me everyday."

This is new. My ears naturally perk up at the heartfelt confession being made by my boss and being indirectly directed towards me.

"If only you knew how much my own words hurt me as much as they probably hurt you when they left my mouth," Boss continues, looking down at his hands. "What am I even saying? Why should you care what I have to say?"