Chapter Twenty | Emergency Pt.1

I wake up earlier than usual, checking my phone to see that I still have half an hour before the alarm goes off. I stop midway towards the bathroom when I remember what I did last night.

My throat feels tingly when my heart occasionally does somersaults at the thought. "I kissed Enji..."

Well, I kissed him on the forehead. But a kiss is a kiss, right? I hop into the shower seeing that I have enough time and let my conscious take over.

Will he remember that? I shake my head at the thought, soaking my hair in the water. I doubt he does. The man's eyes were practically rolling in the back of his head.

Why did he grab my hand like that? And he put it against his chest. Does he..? I heave a sigh when my own inner monologue stumbles over its own thoughts. I guess we'll never know.

I turn off the water, hopping out the shower and wrapping a towel around my body before moving onto my skincare routine and brush my teeth.

I put on my hero costume, remembering that NightEye cautioned us to keep watch for urgent calls from him or his sidekick about the operation. I figure changing would be wasting time.

***

I park in the usual spot, stalling on my phone for a bit since I'm way earlier than usual. After a few minutes of playing a game on my phone, I hear the sound of a car parking besides me. I look up from my phone and turn to my left to see Enji.

Huh. He seems pretty functional for a guy who drank over three beer bottles of beer and an expensive bottle of bourbon. Mental note; don't test his drinking tolerance. I snap out of thought when I see Enji turn his head to look at me, smiling.

I smile back at him before stuffing my phone into my pocket and getting out the car. I dance my way over to the driver side of his car, just in time to see him close the door.

"Hey Enji..!" I greeted, waving at him again. "Good to see you're still functioning."

Enji laughs at my remark. "Yeah, I'm surprised too. I didn't think I would survive the hangover, but turns out all I got was a headache."

"You're somethin' else," we make our way towards the agency doors, seeing the usual busy bodies pace all over the grounds to get places. "Do you need help with the paperwork? Your desk was covered in it."

"If you can, that would be much appreciated," Enji sighs, my head turning instinctively. "I have a lot to do. Shouldn't have drank so much..."

I put my hand on his arm, briefly rubbing it to reassure him. This whole week has filled been with impulse after impulse. "Don't worry about it. We all have our fair share of stressful days."

Enji smiles at me, like he was thanking me for the reassurance.

We walk inside the agency and past Hiroko and Daiki, who seem to be very interested in us, because they're staring into our very souls like we're some wild animals on the loose

***

Hiroko's POV: Front Desk

"Gasp...did you see that?!" I cup my hand over my mouth, using my other one to shake Daiki.

Daiki doesn't look at me, instead he focuses on monitoring the agency halls. "Yes, I saw them."

"They're talking again!"

Daiki makes a weird sound, as if his soul was leaving his body at this very moment. "Here we go again..."

"Hey hey hey! Do you think that they made up?" I asked, plopping onto the seat next to him.