Chapter Twenty Three | Tolerance

My face goes pink, body stiff n' all. Someone's in a particularly good mood for teasing. I see Enji smirking from the corner of my eye, my body still not allowing any movement.

"U—um, right! Should we get to dinner? It's already 8:54," I remind him, thankful for my once-in-a-lifetime quick reaction.

Enji looks at me for an ungodly amount of time, at least to me, before letting out a chuckle and getting out the car to open the door on my side.

I get out the car and just when things couldn't get any more nerve racking, he outstretches his arm.

"May I?"

"Y—yeah, thanks."

I'm about to intertwine my arm with his, but then I see his hand is out. After gawking for a little too long, I put my hand in his, still not looking at him.

Is this really happening? It's like he forgot he rejected me.

Enji closes the door with his other arm, giving me an unusually charming smile before we start walking towards the restaurant.

Enji opens the door, temporarily parting contact while he lets me through, then intertwines his arm with mine.

"What's with the silent treatment? Is there something bothering you?"

Yeah. Your freakishly good looking face and the fact that you're being really cozy with me. But of course I didn't actually say that. Instead, I say, "Nope, I'm fine."

Enji looks at me with a grin, and for a foolish second I think that he can read my mind. "Ready to start dinner?"

"Ready when you are," I reply, trying to sound as non-jittery and all-over-the-place as I actually am right now.

Enji checks in with the front desk manager and assigns us a waiter, who's leading us to the same purple curtains and down the private halls. For some reason I'm much more anxious than when I first came here with him.

There is no way in hell I am actually thinking that this man—the same man who rejected and insulted me—is going to make a move tonight.

"What are you going to get?" Enji asks, snapping me out of my internal disagreement.

I realize that I haven't looked past the first page, and that he probably notices when I delay my answer. And the fact that I'm flipping through the pages like I have a timed dinner when I realize I wasn't doing anything.

"I'll probably go with the Katsudon," I finally managed, my eyes glued hard onto the text that reveal the many cocktail drinks from old, to a list of signature ones from the restaurant.

Enji laughs, making me internally all over the place. "Are you okay? You're staring at the poor menu like it owes you money."

I fake cough, setting down the drink down on the table, resting my hands one on top another on my crossed legs. "Sorry—I don't know what's gotten into me today."

I don't dare look at him, but I swear his face was concerned for a second before being replaced with a bright smile. "Good thing I listened to my instincts and ordered alcohol."