Chapter Twenty Eight | Eri

Apparently me and NightEye have synced brains, because the both of us start to run again, out the exposed space and out into a different hallway.

When we come to the end of the hall, we hear a little kid gasp, scrambling onto their feet, and then we hear a thud accompanied by another round of tears.

I turn a sharp corner down the hall, slowing to a walk so I don't scare her. "Hey, Eri. I'm not here to hurt you—I'm here to get you out of here."

"No."

What? I stumble over air, taken aback by the sudden rejection given her situation. Did she just say...no?

I take steps forward again, cautiously getting closer to her. "Why don't you want to leave here?"

Eri looks away, her hand gripping her bandaged arm tightly. "Because...he's going to hurt you."

That son of a bitch. "Look, I won't let anyone get hurt, okay? I'll get you out of here and then you can have all the fun you want. Don't you want to see the green haired hero again?"

Eri's eyes light up, then go back to being gloomy. "He already beat up a hero...she got hurt because of m—me."

I pull her into a tight embrace with a calm expression plastered on my face, but my mind was anything but calm. "Hey, Eri, sweetie? Do you think you can tell me where you came from?"

"That way," Eri points down the hall, at the path to the left. "That was where I was running from."

I get up, walking over to NightEye. "Thank you, Eri. Can you go with him for a little bit? I need to go help the hero—"

"No—no, no, no..! He'll get you!" My heart aches when I see tears spilling out the little girls eyes. What girls her age should have to give up their lives for the sake of others?

I pry her grip from my suit, my smile not going away. "Look at me Eri. Nothing's going to happen to me, okay? I'll come back—I promise."

Eri looks at me skeptically, not wanting me to go, but also letting me place her in NightEye's arms. "O—okay...if you promise me you'll come back..!"

My smile gets bigger. "Of course, anything for you Eri." I reluctantly let go of the little girl, part of me wanting to just comfort her.

But I shake my head of the selfish thought and start to make my way towards the designated area, mentally preparing myself for what I'm about to see.

When I dance around the large chunks of rubble, I see Incognito sluggishly dodging never ending blows from a deformed looking Chisaki.

"Incognito!" I jump towards her and haul her arm over my shoulder, moving out the way before Chisaki could get her.

Incognito looks at me, her brain not registering my presence. "Y/n? How did you get here?"

"Eri told me where you were," I pause for a short second, dodging another attack. "NightEye has her."

Incognito huffs in relief, quickly back to her own two feet. "Thank god she's safe."

"Let's take him down together?" I ask, already knowing the answer to my question.

"This isn't the time to be catching up..!" Chisaki lunges in between us, separating the both of us.

"Shit..." I going to Incognito but with no luck, seeing that she's on the other side of the massive room.

Chisaki let's out a skin crawling laughter, sending actual chills down my spine. "You're going to pay for causing these hives."