Chapter Twenty Five | Morning Of

Beep Beep Beep

I jerk my head towards the source of the loud noise, eyeing my phone with the intent to kill. "I really need to change that ringtone," I muttered, reaching over to grab my phone.

Just when I grab my phone, I go stiff. My brows furrow at the familiar scent. "Where did this come from?" I continue to sniff the sheet like it's going to answer me at some point.

"Am I delusional, or is this really—" I sniff my pillow case one last time, my mind shutting down at the too early internal debate at 6:30 in the morning.

Instead of resuming my debate, I decide it best not to make this morning awkward between me and Enji before a big operation that very much requires communication.

I slip on my hero costume, throwing on a coat since this morning in particular was colder than usual. I grab my phone and keys and bolt out of the house, getting into the car and driving off.

Just when I park in NightEye's agency's parking lot, I take a quick glance at the clock: 6:55. "That should be early enough." I heave myself off of my seat and out of the car, walking away when I hear my car lock.

Just to my luck, I see a familiar face. Enji jogging down the lot...towards me? Not sure, I stand there awkwardly until he slowly comes to a halt a few feet away. "Hey y/n."

"Hey Enji!" I wince at the obviously forced enthusiasm, quickly fixing my tone. "Did you just get here too?"

"Yep. Hope we're not considered late." Enji takes a glance around us in the parking lot. "There's so many cars parked here already."

Just when panic was starting to get to me, I spot a few cars pulling into the parking lot to prove me wrong. "Look—there's still some heroes arriving. Maybe if we hurry into the agency, they won't notice our absence."

"Good idea." Enji and I look at each other and nod our heads, jogging towards the entrance and past the front desk, slowly coming to a halt down the halls. "You think they started the meeting?"

I take a few steps closer, pressing my ear against the door frame. "I don't hear anybody talking. I think they're gonna wait for everyone to get here first."

"Thank god." I slowly open the door, thankful that everyone didn't decide to turn their heads and undivided attention toward us, or I'd probably die from embarrassment.

We swiftly make our way into the room, turning the doorknob all the so that it didn't make any noise. "Is it okay if I sit next to Aizawa?"

"Go for it. I'll see you later?" I turn to Enji and nod, giving him a quick smile before going over to the empty seat next to Aizawa.

When I get closer towards Aizawa, he's giving me a cautious look. "Everything okay with you?"

"Where have you been?" Aizawa demands, crossing his arms.

I plop down onto the seat, turning the chair so that I'm facing him. "I woke up not too long ago. Am I late?"

"No—but you cut close to it. The meeting starts in ten minutes. Everyone was supposed to be here and ready by the time there's only ten minutes left, not when." Aizawa scolds.

"My bad, dad. I didn't know you were so bothered by it." I playfully punch him on the arm, quietly laughing when I see the taken aback look on his face. "What matters is that I made it on time."

"Whatever you say."

Both me and Aizawa advert our attention towards the front of the room, a set of double doors opening, revealing NightEye once more. We all get out of our seats, exchanging bows with Nighteye before sitting back down altogether.