Chapter Ten | Work

"We finally finished the work!" I exhale in relief, stretching out my stiff limbs.

Enji chuckles, leaning back in his chair. "Do you want to go out to eat? Or maybe another time since you might be too ti—"

"Let's go..!" I squeal at the thought of being treated to dinner after doing all this paperwork.

"You sure do have a lot of energy," Enji teases, getting up from his chair to collect his things.

I put all the paperwork in a neat stack. "Of course! I'm getting rewarded for doing all this paperwork."

Enji laughs at my way of logic, packing up his own things. "Where are we going for dinner?" I ask, putting on my coat.

"I know a place that has good ramen," Enji says, holding the door open for me.

I take a few quickened steps out the door, stopping to wait for him to lock his office. "That sounds so good right now! I've been wanting ramen for a while!"

"Dinner is settled then." Enji closes the door and the both of us head down to the lobby.

The elevator door opens and we make our way out of the hallway, spotting Daiki at the front desk. "Hi Daiki..!" I call, waving.

"Hi Y/N. Busy with work again?" Daiki asks, his jaw propped by his hands.

"Yep. But thankfully that's officially over with—for now. Why are you staying so late after work?" I ask, looking out the window to see the barely visible sky.

"I usually stay a couple of hours later so that I could check that there's no trespassers. Too many psycho fans of his." I laugh when Enji glares at Daiki, who just shrugs his shoulders in response.

"Surely they're not that bad. Are they..?" I ask, now curious about the behavior of the mighty number one hero's fans.

Daiki flips through security screens on the big monitor on his desk and blows raspberries.
"Twice has a fan caused a lockdown here for trying to break into his office. And I had to apprehend them."

"Huh, why did they have you apprehend them?" I ask, my eyes basically glued to the man. "Don't they have guards here?"

Daiki nods his head in acknowledgement. "They do. But because almost everyone has quirks, we can't just have them run into a potential threat, so I use my quirk to stop them."

"That makes sense," I say, half paying attention to Daiki—or anything for that matter.

"My quirk is security. So not only can I see who's where in the building I can apprehend people with a psychic presence if you can call it that," Daiki says, going back to propping up his jaw.

"Ooh. So like if someone were to trespass into the building, you'd feel their presence?" I ask half confident, not sure if I retained the information correctly.

Daiki shoots up two finger guns. "Bingo. I just check these cameras just in case I miss something. I usually just look at the boss's camera though. Just to make sure nothing's happening."

"Were any of the trespassers actual threats? Besides them breaking in and all?" I ask, like a kid being told a story by their grandparents.

Both Daiki and Enji huff in unison, making me even more interested in the topic. "Yes. This one girl had an invisibility quirk and kept trying to harass Endeavor."

"Ohh—how did you catch her?" I kept asking question after question, not caring that Enji was staring at me in disbelief.

"Well, my quirk being security, I have the luxury of having thermal censors. So I saw her body heat and caught her. Didn't want to, but I had to have her called down to the pd because she actually harassed people in the agency," Daiki said, sighing at the thought and restlessness of fans.

"That's such a cool quirk! I bet you would've made a fine pro hero if you quit your—"

"Ahem..!" Enji's voice erupts from behind, making me realize what I had just implied.

I scratch my head and look the other way, as if that was going to help the embarrassment die down. "Oops."

"It's okay boss, I won't quit. Have a good night guys." Daiki nods his head at the both of you, watching the door close before resuming back to work.

Hiroko springs her head from underneath the front desk, her face as giddy as any kid. "Did you see that Daiki..?!"

Daiki leans his body away from Hiroko's booming voice. "Yes, Hiroko. I was right in front of them."

"I told you Daiki! They're totally dating!" Hiroko points her index finger at Daiki, a little too close to his face.

Daiki redirects Hiroko's finger away from his face, pushing up his glasses before sticking his eyes back onto the monitor.

"Them leaving at the same time doesn't mean anything. The secretary's job is to go over things with the boss—if you haven't noticed."

"But this is the second time they did that! It's three hours past when her day is done. What could she possibly be doing with the boss for three hours!" Hiroko says, a hint of impatience in her voice.

Daiki doesn't glance at Hiroko, his eyes still on the screen. "Y/N said that they were doing work just now. Work. So will you stop this childishness now?"

"But what would Y/N need to go over for three hours? I mean, paperwork can't take that long," Hiroko remarks, her eyes daring.

Daiki straightens in his chair, huffing. "Okay, say that they were chatting and that's why they're taking so long to finish the paperwork. In what world does that indicate that they're dating??"

Hiroko nearly stumbles in astonishment, for once in her life, dumbfounded. "I don't know, but I'll prove it to you someday!" Hiroko states, pumping her fists in the air.

Daiki slumps onto his desk, looking up at the screen. "Yeah yeah yeah, whatever. I bet you $50 that you can't prove they're dating."

"I'll take that bet!" Hiroko beams, closing the front doors to the agency.

Parking Lot~

"Do you want to go home first before we go to dinner?" Enji asks, slowing down his pace to face me.

I match his pace and face him. "Go home? What for?"

"I doubt you want to go out to eat in your work clothes," Enji asks, walking towards our respective cars.

I twirl around to face Enji, my hand propped on top of the car door. "That sounds like a good idea. Don't want to seem out-dressed at, what I can only assume, to be a fancy place since you had to make a reservation."

Enji scoffs and rolls his eyes, giving me a really? look. "Out-dressed? The restaurant actually requires people to dress formally."

"Not surprised by the choice of restaurant. Given that this is the one and only fearsome Endeavor." I tease, receiving another eye roll.

Enji unlocks his car and opens his the door, giving me one last look. "Meet you at your house? Just text me when you're done getting ready."

"I don't have your number." For some reason it feels like I'm eating dinner with Enji, and not the number one hero Endeavor.

Enji's face brightens up at the realization and closes his car door, walking over to me. "I could give you my number—or I can just park outside your house when I'm done."

I hand him my phone, seeing a slightly surprised look stretch across his face. "It'd be better to have each other's numbers. For things like emergency—or just out of convenience."

"Good thinking." Endeavor takes my phone, tapping away at the keypad and saving his number. "Here."

"Thanks. See you later..!" I give one last rapid wave of goodbye to Enji.

"No problem. See you later." Enji waves back, the both of us getting into our cars, driving off.