Chapter 2

It was half past 1 now and I was on the phone with am endorser who wanted to set up a meeting with Mr. Graham. After settling on a time and place, I hung up and went to the printer room to get a hardcopy of this contract my boss just asked me. Once it was down, I made my way to

"Come in." I heard him say. I opened and closed the door letting myself in.

"I've printed out the contract you asked for, sir." I said making my way to his desk and handed it to him.

"Thank you, Ms. Maraj. I'll read it when my time is free. Now I have a lunch meeting and I shouldn't be expecting any convenient work for now. Thus, you can take a one hour lunch break. I'll see you later."

"Thank you, sir."

I exited his office and got my purse from my desk. I went down to the cafeteria on the ground floor and it was pretty full. There were only about three free tables. I rushed to the counter and order a Greek Salad and a small bottle of water. I payed for it in advance then made my way to one of the few free tables and sat down waiting for my food.

I watched as the last two tables were being occupied. There was this woman, probably ten years older than me, she sighed because she was too late to grab a seat. I just looked at her, not in a creepy way, though. She saw it and shyly walked up to me.

"Hi, do you mind if I sit here with you?"she asked with a hesitating tone on her voice.

"Not at all, Help yourself up."

"Thank you." She pulled a chair and sat down. At first it was a little bit awkwardly, until she broke the silence. "I never saw you around. Are you new here?"

"Yes, I am."

Just then, a waiter came to our table holding a tray with a bowl of salad and a bottle of water. He place the dish and it's cutlery in front of me and he went away.

"Aren't you going to start eating?" She asked.

"No, I'm waiting for you."

"Aww, you're so thoughtful." I smiled small at her. "My name is Andrea by the way."

"Onika."

"I like your name, it's different."

"Thank you." I said. The same waiter returned to our table, but this time with Andrea's order. She had ordered a Olivier Salad and a glass of natural mango juice.

We stayed there eating at our pace and engaging in small conversation. Turns out, she's a very fun person. I should hang out with her one of these days.

"So, in what sector are you working in?" She asked me.

"I'm actually Mr. Graham's new secretary."

"Oh, wow... Cool." She nodded. I wonder what's so shocking about it. "I heard it's a really tough job."

"Really? I thought it was pretty simple, at least for now."

"Yeah, Mr. Graham makes everything seems so clear at the beginning."

"Thank you for the heads up. But I think I can handle it all."

"You have such confidence... You know, his last assistants didn't more than six months here."

"Hmmm." I raised an eyebrow. That's a new challenge.

"Yeah. I just hope that's not your case."

"Oh, believe me, it won't." She smirked.

"That's the spirit!" Andrea giggled which made me giggle too. I checked the time. 2:23. I sighed.

"What's wrong?" I looked at Andrea.

"Nothing, it's just it's almost 2:30. I need to go back to work."

"Me too."

"Let's go then."

We got up from the table and exited the cafeteria. Lucky for us, the elevator had just arrived so we immediately got in.
By the time I reached the top floor, my boss was just opening his office. Right on time.

(...)

I passed through the glass door at the entrance of the building. I didn't have my car today so I had to call a cab to get home.

Lucky for me, there were tons of cabs out here at this time of the day that people are getting out of work.

"Hi." I get red the driver as I got inside a parked cab that was waiting for a client.

"Good afternoon. ma'am."

"4844 Oakwood Avenue." I told my address and he started to car.

(...)

First thing I did when I got home was take a shower. After that, I got myself dressed in some grey sweatpants and a white tank top and decided to take a nap.

(...)

"Hey." I said smelling something delicious coming from the kitchen.

"Hey Nic."

I reached the bottom of the stairs as he came up to hug me. Since I was way shorter than him, he carried me and spun me around taking me by surprise.

"Faree! Put me down."

"No can do, dwarf."

"Ahh, hate it when you call me that." I pouted.

"So?" He put me down and ran his hand over my head. I just shrugged it off because I knew me wanted to mess with me.

"Why did you cook? You could've woken me up."

"Nah, you were sleeping so well, didn't want to disturb you."

"How cute..." I saw making my way to the kitchen. "What is it for dinner? It smells really good."

"I made spaghetti and sloppy joe."

"Yummy," I found the pans with the food inside the oven. I took them out and put them on the stove.

"Do you want me to make you a plate?" I asked him.

"Please do!"

It didn't take long, I handed him his plate and sat mine down on the counter. We started eating with small talk in between.

"So... How was your first day?"

"It was good I guess. I made a new friend... My boss is, something. And my job is pretty simple, kind of."

"A new friend, aye? Is she nice?"

"Yeah, she's nice." I said mocking his emphasis on 'she'. "And how was your day?"

"It was alright. Got my plate full but can't complain."

"Yeah. With your classes and work shift... One more year babe, you can do it." I put my free hand over his and he squeezed mine softly.

"I couldn't have done it all without you."

"I'd do anything for you." I said.

He slightly stood from his seat trying to reach for me and leaned closer to  peck my lips.

"Ewww, you're still eating." I grabbed a napkin and wiped my lips.

"So? You're eating the same thing. What's the difference?"

"You're such a pig."

"And I couldn't care less."