Chapter 29

The sun looked like it just rose, but it was already 8:04. Onika, relieved to be wearing a pair of white leggings, a simple white t-shirt and a sweater around her hips just in case the outside turns a bit chilly, walked down the aisle still in prison with two guards, each walking beside her. She could hear whispers, normal talk and yelling, all aimed at her as she accomplished what many still dreamed about in there.

This is it. The day that she is being released from jail. Onika was out after a year and three months only being found guilty of Involuntary Manslaughter. Even though her sentence was five months longer, she's being released earlier for good behaviour she had demonstrated over time.

Her face cracked a huge smile when one of the guards opened the big door for her but she covered her eyes due to the intensity of the daylight she hadn't familiarised with for the past couple of cloudy days. The sun rays brighten her face and she couldn't be any happier. She could almost drop her belongings.

"Have a good life. Stay out of trouble." One of the guards said to her.

"Thank you officer." She thanked the him and waved them goodbye with a warm smile. He just gave her a simple nod. She continued to smile at them until they couldn't help it anymore and just had to smile back. She was never a trouble, always showing sympathy to everyone. Of course there would always be a hateful chick who'd trying to get Nicki on her bad side but that was just her nature...

She turned and continued walking. Right in front of her was Safaree in his car impatiently waiting for her to get in.

She classically put her shades on to masquerade her facial expression that gave a lot to anybody who saw her.

"Are you ready to go?" He asked starting the car. Not a single 'hi' or a 'how are you'.

She looked at him and saw the same look she had on her face on him.

"Did you get our tickets?"

"Yeah."

"Good."

Once they reach the airport, they took the bags out off the car. Safaree had one bag and Nicki had about eight, filled with clothes, shoes and all those other times she had asked long ago.

They started to make their way to the check-in room when Nicki stopped dead in her tracks. Safaree stops too and looked at her.

"What's wrong?" He asked her.

"Can I see your passport?"

"Yeah, why?" Safaree asked confused but ended up giving it to her.
She grabbed it and looked at him before starting to ripping it slowly so he could feel what she was trying to say to the point of forming a pile of raining papers on the polished stone floor

To describe how Safaree was feeling was almost impossible. Confused, furious, devastated were some of the emotions he manages to express through his face.

It hurt Onika to do that too, her friend, her mentor in life, her first love. Her everything. She was leaving him behind.

She stood on her tippy toes and kissed him knowing it was going to be the last time. It wasn't a sloppy one, nor a emotionless one. It was a farewell one. Safaree had his eyes opened the whole time, he didn't want to believe she was going to leave him just like that. After everything they went through.

"It's for the best." She said before making her way in the the ample check-in room.

***

Taking a sip off her glass of Italian champagne, her favourite,  in first class in the plane off to Monaco, she read the copy of Drake's will. It was read by his lawyer a month after his death where he had left his entire fortune to his actual spouse, believing that she would deserve it because it would only the actual who would have stayed with him until his final days. What he didn't imagine was he was that she who be the cause of his death.

Drake had been blinded by what Onika had made herself appear to the point of leaving his entire fortune to her.

What could she possibly do with all his money? It was never about it. She just wanted him to know how hell felt like. Well, she did more by sending him there. But she wasn't any better.

Instead of going through money laundering, she just let Drake's people decide between themselves who was going to run his other business from now on, not wanting anything to do with. As for MaBelle, she sold her shares. Although it wasn't much, for her it was enough to get a good deal out of it.

Not knowing what the future held for her, she'd be living everyday of her always desired life, as she thought.

Onika wonders why did she end alone again . First her parents, then Drake (she realised after a long time without him that she actually cared for him) and now Safaree who was willing to leave his girlfriend behind for her. That's right, after Nicki's prison, he found himself a boo and they were actually working out. But Onika couldn't live with that, knowing she wrecked another home was just too much for her.

Fuck it, her destiny was to end up alone. And if that's what the universe wanted for her, then that's what's the destiny she was going to pick. Like a known man once told her, if you're already in hell, might as well hug the devil.

THE END