The Light to His Darkness >> Eric X Amity!Transfer!Reader)

Title: The Light to His Darkness

Paring: Eric X Amity!Transfer!Reader

Warnings: There's a scene later on where there's graphic description of the reader's fears (I don't know your fears, so bear with me, I picked common ones) and there's a gun involved. If this is a trigger, don't read. Stay safe.

Spoilers: none...? If you're reading this fic, you've read/watched Divergent and know of Eric. If you haven't, go and read it! It's totally worth it.

Author's Note: The title came from my binge watch of Agents of S. H. I. E. L. D. the other day -- from Season 1, the episode The Only Light in the Darkness. So many feels! But this is symbolic light. Nobody in this fic has superpowers okay?

---------------------------------------

The day you chose Dauntless shocked the Amity nation. A red and yellow envoy of peace, raised in the ways of the calm and negotiation to avoid conflict, choosing Dauntless? The warrior faction, the tough, materialistic hard-headed soldiers? Such a change hadn't happened for years; it was a rarity for Amity to Transfer, let alone to go to Dauntless. Maybe that's why you felt like you were more of an ugly duckling in a pond of gangly geese on the train to the compound.

They hadn't even looked at me; you remember your parents' shivers. Your brothers and sisters, too young to come to the Choosing Ceremony would be asking them soon, where's big sister _______?

"I thought Amity were supposed to smile more," a black and white wearing ex-Candor remarked.

You turn to him, and giving him the biggest smile you can, punch him square on the nose. "'M not Amity anymore, so quit it."

He was silent for the rest of the journey. And so were you, quietly nursing your smarting knuckles. But nothing hurt more than the gravel the Initiates jumped onto from the train. Or words.

Standing at the edge of the building, was a man with well defined muscles and piercing eyes that if they were guns, would have already shot you with their intensity.

"Jump? We already jumped!" The boy you punched argued.

Not soon after, another outlier in the transfers, a small Abnegation girl volunteered to jump first. Then followed a few ex-Erudite's, and Candor's. A few were left on the rooftop, and now without the protection of numbers, you felt his eyes on you.

"Aren't going to jump, or are you, pansycake?" He ridiculed you, sizing you up with his eyes. There were no such slurs in Amity, but you knew it was one when it left his mouth. Even as ridiculous as it sounded. "Did you pick Dauntless because you thought you were tough?"

You swallow, walking to him by the edge. The last three transfers, Candor, watch with surprising silence that betrays their old faction's way.

"I think I'm willing to try," you tell him.

He raises an eyebrow. "Try what, Initiate?" He asks you.

"Try to impress you." You smile, and twisting, fall backwards down the drop. The last thing you see of the outside world is his face, bewildered by your answer.

------------------------------------

You were not ex-Erudite, but it was plain to see that with each Transfer's background, they had different strengths. The ex-Abnegation girl named Tris seemed to be very selfless - or stupid, standing in front of the target range like that for Al! - Christina was upfront about whatever was bothering her, the same as Peter (to less of a amicable degree), and you, you've been nothing but weak. Empathetic, maybe, but not strong measurable by Dauntless.