Anniversary >> Mortal!Loki Laufeyson X Reader

Title: Anniversary

Paring: Mortal!Loki Laufeyson X Reader

Warnings: semi-graphic descriptions of violence and Worst Parent of the Year!Odin.

Spoilers: no

Author's note at the end ~
--------------------------------------------------

The Allfather had laughed at him. That great, booming laugh which made Loki feel his request was as important as a play-pretend game when he were a boy. He felt as tall as he was then, in Odin's presence, but he wasn't to allow for his request to make him feel this way.

"You wish to trade in your status as an Æsir, as the trickster, because of -" Odin's strong words dissolved once more into a string of laughter. The nearby court officials, the extended family, noble people tittered along with their King. But, the Allfather continued, further poking the bear, letting Loki un-clench his teeth, " - a woman? A small, unimportant Midgardian woman?"

Loki wanted to shout, to scream, thrash his chains and shriek bloody murder. He wanted to strangle his father, he wanted to rip the chains from his body link by link, he wanted to stand above a burning Asgard while Thor and his woman were off where they were, so he could be mortal, so he could be with her - you.

He didn't, though. He stood there, swaying, biting his lip. Watching his false father.

"You know, Loki," his mother spoke up, "lives of those on Midgard are shorter," Loki was about to bark back to his mother of the amount that he didn't mind that, when she added, "That is why its beauty, while fragile, is no less breathtaking."

He watched, still mute as his father turned to Frigga. "You support this choice? It is madness!"

"Allow my son to make his choice, Odin," his mother leveled, her fair voice unwavering. "He wishes to choose love. And let him love with his woman the same way. All lives end, yes," she added, "But allow him to live his with love."

Odin's fist was brought down to the arm rest of the throne. "In fifty years from now he will be back, begging to be restored, broken -,"

"I am already broken!" he boomed, his tone echoing the throne room, louder than Odin's tempestuous tantrum. "Allow me peace."

The courtiers took this as a cue to disperse from the room.

The bearded old man gazed onto Loki stonily, silent for a moment. "You truly love this woman?"

Loki breathed. He closed his eyes, seeing you in his mind, that smile he adored, the way you had managed to make your way into his life. It seemed eons later he looked once more onto the throne room, to see his mother and the All-father.

"I do."

"Loki of Asgard, my son," Loki couldn't find a sense of sincerity in Odin's titling of himself, but he kept quiet. He wanted to hear what he would decree. "I, Odin, All-father, declare your life-span to be one of the same length as a mortal. To live it with your love. To find what peace you cannot as you are."

Loki found his voice lost to him, but finding it, he whispered, "Thank you."

_________________________________

Two years later...

"What do you get when you cross a violin, an assailant and a smelly motel?" You asked, mouth full of toast. It was a rainy morning, and Loki had made coffee and toast as a celebration for something you hadn't remembered yet.