Affection is the Best Medicine >> Spock X Reader

Title: Affection is the Best Medicine

Paring: Spock X Reader

Warnings: this is set in the medbay. Here be unhealed wounds and fluff.

Spoilers: make sure you're familiar with the Star Trek universe 

-----------------------------------------

You had known of the half Vulcan for a long time, but and had been on board the USS Enterprise longer. As a medical officer alongside Bones, you were often seeing the members of the ship coming in your neck of the woods in pieces and needing attention.

Bones was a good teacher, and much more; an old friend: he'd shown you the ropes of medical school, even helped with applying for the USS Enterprise. But when the green-blooded Vulcan had ended up in the med bay, he turned to you.

"Alright, ________, you're up," he grinned.

"What, me?" you stuttered. "Mr Spock has injuries you're trained specially in healing," you frowned, getting into what he was implying. "Bones...?"

He laughed. "I'm not treating him, he's stubborn as a mule the day before the county fair," your officer winked. "You go get him."

You nodded, quickly adjusted your blue uniform and went to attended to the captain's first officer.

"Hello, Mr Spock, I am Nurse _______," you introduced with a calm, stoic face to Spock, noticing him favouring his right arm. You knew the Vulcan would feel a little more at ease with the lack of emotion on your behalf. "Dr McCoy said you had gotten hurt."

You watched as Spock nodded. "The mission did not go as expected," he explained, "the native species of the planet attempted to attack me and, succeeded."

You bobbed your head and gestured to his right arm. "Could you roll up your sleeve, please, Mr Spock?"

Gently, you watched as the Vulcan gingerly tugged at the sleeve with his other hand. Wincing at the bruised surface, and what looked like the bone almost poking out. You cleared your face from emotion and gave Spock a straight face.

"I will still need to run a few tests," you told him, "but from what I can see, it's a very badly broken arm."

Mr Spock nodded. "Thank you for the diagnosis, Nurse ________."

You gave him a small smile, and retreated into the depths of the Med bay to gather the devices needed to reset the bone, create a cast and to conduct an X-ray. While you were in the back, you managed to overhear Bones and the science officer's conversation - quite by accident, you realised:

"You gotta tell her you like her," the southern twang caught your ear. "How long have you liked ________?"

"Two years," the captain's first officer stated.

You could almost hear the face Bones pulled all the way from where you were. "And what's stopping you?" he sighed.

"She is of quite admirable intellect," the half Vulcan stated, not answering the sarcastic doctor. "She attempted in removing all emotion in conversation with me, did you notice?"

You halted, realising what the pair of Starfleet workers in blue shirts were speaking about.

He liked you? A blush caught you by surprise and rushed to your cheeks. Spock was a grown man, one with troubles speaking about emotion and to women, in particular, about emotion. A smile came to your lips. You did like Mr Spock's ears.

"Yeah, I noticed, ________'s the most emotionally expressive nurse I have in here and -," You decided to come out with the supplies.

As you came out, both Dr McCoy and Spock were looking at you in silence.

"I am going to do an X-ray," you told the half Vulcan softly, "with the help of Dr McCoy here," you smiled slightly, not wanting to keep it all emotionless anymore. "You'll have a cast on it in no time," you added, and saw the half Vulcan attempt a smile.

"Thank you, Nurse _______," he spoke slightly unevenly.

"You're welcome, Mr Spock."

You heard Bones sigh noisily behind you and you could've sworn he growled something like get a room under his breath.