Best Birthday Ever >> Steve Rogers (Captain America) X Pregnant!Reader

Title: Best Birthday Ever

Paring: Steve Rogers (Captain America) X Pregnant!Reader

Warnings: none

Spoilers: Please watch Age of Ultron if you're not up to speed on the superhero scene

  __________________________________ 

Everything had to be perfect.

The party, the food, the friends, the weather, the general ambiance. Just why, Tony had asked you two months ago, when you had started planning the event for your husband (and little did he know, future father), Steve Rogers A.K.A. Captain America. Why? Why all the meticulous calculation and sneaking around behind Steve's back to create the best birthday he'd ever have?

Well, for one, he was the guy who never really celebrated his own birthday and just joined in on the Independence Day celebrations. He'd also not told anyone for the first two years after he came
out of the ice about his birthday which, when you came onto the scene on the third year and realised Captain America's birthday was on the country's birthday, you rioted. Everyone needs to celebrate their birthday! No matter how old they'd be.

That's how you came to plead S.H.I.E.L.D to hook Steve up with a mission with Clint and Tasha, cleaning up the mess Ultron had made month previous. They'd be home the day after Steve's birthday, but you couldn't change that. That's how you had the Falcon, Sam Wilson hanging red white and blue streamers on the ceiling of the apartment, your good friend Bruce Banner checking the final details for the party, Tony Stark mock-flirting shamelessly with your best friend and a couple of Steve's friends while Pepper rolled her eyes at her fiancé and painted the birthday banner.

All this planning, just for him.

"________, where do you want the last streamer to go?" Sam wondered, coming down from the step ladder.

You frowned. "Uh..." you squinted, surveying the ceiling for any depletion of streamer population. "There, if that's okay, Sam," you smiled, resting a hand on your abdomen.

"Does the cake stay out or in the fridge, _______?" A friend of yours wondered, and you moved forward to the table to see all your friends and work associates almost drooling over the cake shaped and coloured like Steve's shield. It had been a last minute rush to get the cake in the end, but judging how fast the bakery made it, you were contemplating getting Steve to go down and do press with them as a thank you.

"Inside the fridge, it's a bit warm today," you slapped Tony's hand as it went down to taste the icing. "And don't touch!"

"Geeze, Mom," Tony rolled his eyes as you put the cake away.

"Be nice to ______," Pepper chided from the other side of the apartment. "She's been so busy lately and doesn't need you putting a spanner in the works."

"Did someone call out for me?" Bruce wondered. You shooed the crowd from the kitchen and went over to join Bruce at your old laptop, wondering how he could stand using such old tech when he was used to the S.H.I.E.L.D holographic touch screen interfaces. "Did anyone just say my name or am I going crazy?"

"Nobody's going crazy," You laughed quietly. "Pepper said spanner. Anyways, while I'm here, how are the figures? Are we in the budget?"

He nodded. "Yeah, you are. And that wasn't too big a budget, how did you save so much?"

"Well..." You shrugged. "I bought the streamers in last year's forth of July clearance sale. And saved every coupon I could for the cake for some kind of discount, it's BYO drinks and alcohol ... and I figured Steve wouldn't want a DJ because he's not into that scene so I got some CDs and I can manage them." You smiled, resting a hand on the scientist's shoulder.