The Devil Neglects >> Lucifer X Shy!Nerdy!Reader

Title: The Devil Neglects

Paring: Lucifer X Shy!Nerdy!Reader

Sequel: of "Dr Who and Chill"

Warnings: in the words of Mrs Hudson, it's just a "little domestic". No violence.

Spoilers: none

------------------------------------

Time passed easily and you and Lucifer got into a routine, a rut, that's what people call it - he did whatever the devil fancied and you sat around, waiting at home like you often did with all the men in your life who were in on the hunting business.

You loved the guy, seriously, with all your soul. Didn't fear him as much as you should've, but you were the quiet kind of girl with a heart of gold. But that didn't make any difference by the way he was away all the time. And when he was around, completely distant.

It was a cold Tuesday when you finally had enough of waiting for anyone; Lucifer was off God knows where and Team Free Will had road tripped to Pennsylvania for something along the lines of a ghost possession. And your father, Bobby Singer, had surprised you by going out to the Sioux Falls Library and hadn't come back yet.

So you did what came naturally: to leave.

If they wanted you so badly, you knew they'd catch up with you. So you took stashed a handful of angel blades and took off in one of the trashy pickups that Bobby tinkered with and ate the miles as you sped away.

Days passed with you on the road, and using the new fake credit cards and ignoring your phone that oddly didn't ring at all, you were free. Going straight across the country to Minnesota then bee-lining to Florida and surroundings, - you were still deciding whether or not your next location would be in Mexico or not...maybe Alaska? - you made it almost two weeks without hearing from a soul.

Then, out of the blue, came a lightning storm. You woke from the noise, but reminded yourself it was just a natural phenomenon and nothing more. But it was one of those nights when waking up meant no going back into the dreamless slumber again.

Well, not dreamless. It was all him. Him and his cocky smile and easy way around you that made you both open up and be rendered inert by the crippling shyness that he caused you. He was the most beautiful of the angels, the most damned of them, but you loved him still.

Even after the distancing.

And then the tears came.

It was inevitable: you were a mere human. One of ten billion. And he was the devil. Your vision became blurred with the emotions; you were forever being ignored, forgotten, walked over; it was common for a shy person like you. But you had taken charge. But that didn't stop you loving Lucifer. Not with all of your entire mortal heart and mind and soul.

"Now is defiantly a bad time, I can tell."

You tossed yourself over the edge of the bed in shock from the voice, but as you tumbled and embraced the floor, you remembered the cocky voice. It was Lucifer.

"No, no, it isn't," you sassed, standing. Hands on hips, you faced your boyfriend the devil. "I was just sleeping with a cut onion. And thinking about The Titanic."

Lucifer poked his tongue out. "Don't tell Balthazar," he warned. "You'll get the history lesson."

Despite yourself, you laughed, and midway through the act, bit it back. The noise you made sounded like you were drowning on land. You watched as Lucifer made his way toward you and you couldn't take it. No. If he was going to act like all the time away from you was habitual and completely normal, you had to lay down the rules.

"Don't come any closer," you squeaked, warning him, slipping a hand under your pillow and drawing out the angel blade. "Lucifer, don't make me use this."

Confusion made his face warp into a frown, and as he went to speak, you raised the blade higher. "Jeeze, ________, what's gotten into you? I hope to myself you're not possessed."

You shook your head fiercely, abhorring the idea that a demon or angel could be in your body, using you as a puppet . "Nobody is controlling me anymore, Lucifer. I'm in charge. I'm not waiting around. I'm free."

He froze. "Is this becau -,"

You nodded. "Yes. I'm not doing this anymore! I don't want to wait around for you, Lucifer, hell, I shouldn't even be aware of your existence! I've got to move on, I've got to -,"

He cut in, "You still love me though, I know." You faltered. Then, slowly, you admitted that yes, you were. "I know, because I've been in your dreams. I'm sorry, ______, please come back. I've missed you. Your father was going to put you up as a missing person -," he paused, and you let the blade fall to the carpet. The clattering shocked you out of your anger. "Come back, ________."

You felt the tears come back to you as you threw yourself onto Lucifer. "I was stupid," you sobbed, "of course you're going to be always away, you're the devil. And I didn't think - I didn't think of Bobby. Or the Winchest -,"

Lucifer's hand was on your hair, smoothing it out as you cried out onto his chest. As he shhhhhhhed your wailing, he added, "I've ordered it that I'm going to be working more from home now," you looked up, and even through the tears, you felt your heart leap. "I'm going to always be there for you. I'm sorry I wasn't."

You felt the hiccuping of your chest rioting against Lucifer's as you beamed. "Now we can marathon Sherlock together," you managed to get out, and he laughed.

"Of course, we'll marathon all the TV ever released. But," he added, and you stiffened, "if you don't mind, ________, I don't want to drive back to Bobby's. I don't like these automobiles."

You nodded, wiping your eyes. "Yeah, I don't mind, Lucifer. Let's go home."