Dance With the Doctor >> Leonard "Bones" McCoy X Reader

Title: Dance With the Doctor

Paring: Leonard "Bones" McCoy X Reader

Warnings: fluff fluff. Did I say fluff?

Spoilers: none

__________________________________

There was a myth you heard once in your five years about the Medbay you worked in - of something called a slow day. It was a day, according to legend, when nobody had a boo boo or got hurt in a firefight or forbid it happen yet again - it would be the third time this week - an accident down in engineering.

This myth had been a joke you'd heard whilst performing surgery on a red-shirted member of the U.S.S. Enterprise, from the mouth of none other than Dr Leonard "Bones" McCoy himself. He said it flippantly - and yet, somehow, it never came.

Until today.

Whilst the ship docked in a neighboring planet to restock on fuel and allow the crew a day off, you stayed on board, cleaning around the Medbay. The life of a nurse would never be as busy as a CMO like Bones, but with the slow day like today, you could actually hear yourself think. Muddle around - hum. And when you remembered a melody from Earth, sing.

It was just a tune sung under your breath, but soon, you abandoned sorting the bandages by strength and width and began to dance to the melody like you would've if there had been the proper music from a proper player at a proper dance.

But apparently it was a good dance to be considered distracting , or at least, considered something good because your boss had walked in at one point and cleared his throat like usual and scared you.

You gasped, fixed your hemline and looked to the floor.

"Don't stop on my account, Nurse _______," Bones chuckled, moving past you to the bandages you had been sorting. "Now, what have we here? It's a day off, and you're sortin'?"

You blushed. "Sir, I was bored. It's a slow day, and I needed to keep myself busy doing something petty. I really should resume -,"

The CMO held a hand up in protest. "You stay right there, Nurse ________, I'll find you some proper music." You watched as Bones made his way to the system, where he typed in the name of an old classical song from Earth into the interface. Within seconds, the sound of string instruments was in the room. "That better?"

You nodded, feeling a blush take your cheeks. It was then you realized it was an occasion that had never took place before - just you, Bones and an empty Medbay. Cautiously, you stepped forward, arms outstretched to the characteristically grumbly grump of a man. An eyebrow was raised, but as soon as you put his arms on the right place to waltz, he understood.

"How'd you know I could dance?" He whispered, as the pair of you glided over the empty Medbay floor.

You shrugged. "Lucky guess, sir," you confessed, "but it seems you're really good at it. Did you take lessons?"

Bones laughed. "You didn't?"

"I used to watch my parents dance back on Earth, when they thought nobody was looking. Picked it up."

Bones smiled. It was almost a foreign look to the usual frown he donned, but you liked it. "You're a natural, ________."

You cocked your head slightly, and guiding the both of you from collision into a bed, remarked, "And you're not?"

There was a pause in the repertoire, then, "Had to learn for my ex-wife's wedding." You took lead of the dance, as Bones was a million miles away, daydreaming, "We danced the whole night; I still have the callouses from those shoes, darlin'." He said wistfully.