little dt twins oneshot

He sat under the cooling shade of the tree, staring down at the grass. Tears threatened to spill, but he forced himself to not break.

Dream was playing with his 'friends'.

While barely half an hour ago, Nightmare had approached two siblings, around the same age as him. He simply wanted to play dolls with them.

Instead he got called an ugly evil monster.

So now here he is, leaning against the Tree alone, wondering what he did wrong.

He's only five. He shouldn't know of this world's cruelty at such a young age.

Nightmare clutched the fabric of his pants, shaking slightly. However, his sullen mood took an abrupt stop when he heard a familiar voice.

"Brother! Brother!"

Dream approached in all his radiant splendour, panting and seemingly tired from all that running.

When he finally neared Nightmare, he sat down and hugged the other by the waist.

"Dream.."

The brighter twin frowned, noticing something seemed off. "Nighty? Are you sad?"

Nightmare smiled. "No! I'm all good now that you're here." It wasn't a lie. The genuine concern shown to him was enough for him to bare a smile.

The other smiled in glee before reaching into his pocket and taking out dolls and figurines.

The purple-clad skeleton looked curiously as Dream set up the characters and split the small mass of items in half.

"I want to play with you! Pleasee??" Clasping his hands together, Dream shot his brother a pleading look.

How could he ever refuse?

He didn't even need to be begged, he'd play no matter what. Who's he to turn down the only one who enjoys his company?

He loved Dream. And for a moment, he began thinking that he'd survive the harsh reality of this world as long as he had his brother by his side to care for him.

"Okay.. I'll be the princess, and you can be the Prince Charming. I'll also be the evil dragon!! And you can be... the sidekick! Is that okay??" His smile only grew wider as he rambled.

The negative twin giggled. "The princess? You want to be the princess and the evil dragon?" 

Dream nodded frantically. "If that's 'kay with you! But the shiny princess can be a.. a badass!! And the dragon is secretly sad." He gave a small pout at his own statement before continuing. "And the Prince Charming is like this super strong guy that's actually sooo in love with the sidekick. But the sidekick thinks he's super boring and is all sad and- and he thinks he has no chance with the prince !! And then-"

Dream just continued with his very unique and long plot.  Every now and then Nightmare would nod in understanding, listening closely. 

While Nightmare was more of the intellectual one out of the two, his brother was the one with a very vivid imagination. The only times he interrupted the other was when he kept saying 'badass'.  He had no idea where Dream learnt such a vulgar word.

When they began role playing, the plot had gotten all over the place. It was mostly immature and childish ideas that got everything into a state of chaos, but they were kids.

Kids are meant to act like that. Not forced to grow up due to trauma on both ends.

When they were finally done, Nightmare had only gotten more fond of his brother. He didn't care anymore that those two sisters had rudely rejected his offer, he didn't even know them, but he knew Dream.

And he knew he was genuine.

So that's why he never spoke of the torment he'd gone through. That's why he had later on become more distant, that's why he hid the truth with everything he had-

Because he couldn't bare to see the hurt— the realization. The guilt.

It was exactly because Dream cared so much and how he reciprocated the feeling mutually that he couldn't bare it.

But with all the love his brother showed to him, there was always the intrusive and dark thoughts that would cloud a part of his mind.

"I'm not an ugly monster, am I?" It was but a slip of the mouth, low and barely above a whisper, but the other heard it.

Dream seemed almost confused, before taking notice of Nightmare's saddened look when he had spoken.
"Huh?? Obviously not. My brother is beautiful everywhere!! He's pretty, smart, in- intellu.. intecual?" It may have been a complete butcher of the word 'intellectual', but the message came accros. "A-Anyways! Night, you're not ugly and you may be a monster, but not the bad kind! You're super nice!!! You fix my booboos and you play with me... You- You're- I love you, because you're the best brother ever!!"

Before Nightmare had even realized it, crocodile tears were pouring out of his eye sockets as he stared at his brother, aghast.

Dream took it the wrong way though, thinking he made it worse. "No! Don't... don't cry, Nighty.. I'm sorry-"

He was interrupted by a sudden hug. "I love you too."

He heard Dream hiccup, figuring he probably got sensitive from seeing him upset. "If you cry— I'll- I'll cry too.."

And like that, the two dramatic twins sat there weeping together, until at some point, they didn't know what they were crying for.

But that's what children are meant to do, right?

Cry easily, laugh happily, smile genuinely, learn slowly and stay innocent, ideally.

Too bad it didn't last.

————————————
IM SORRY THIS WASNT XREADER I WASNt IN THE MOOD

Also forgive the slightly lazy writing, I'm doing this while I'm sick and my brain isn't braining correctly atp 😰😰

since they're like 5 y/o's I initially thought it would make sense to add w's instead of r's bcz that's how kids speak but it just struck as weird and I couldnt bare it 🧍‍♀️

ALSO HOW COME THEY ACT SO NICE AND WHOLESOME??? SIBLINGS ARE NEVER LIKE THAT,,

I'm a single child I wouldn't know tho 🤭