sewing the wounds of betrayal // ds!dream + reader

Reader is dreamswap nm's ex gf btw

Nightmare died nd she's mourning his loss

Also ds dream is the murderer

Also reader is pregnant w nights baby

Plot and request given by emeraldgaze21!!

//////

The day of Nightmare's fall wasn't as joyous as he had thought.

Dream felt so... off.

At first, when a mass of dust lay on the ground with clothes his brother wore, he felt a sense of victory. A false one, at that.

Then nothing.

No joy, no sense of pride. Nothing. He felt so empty and just wrong. As if nothing was right.

He mulled over it for countless sleepless nights, eyes wide open staring at the ceiling.

Weeks passed by and all he could feel was bitter misery and throbbing remorse.

On the rare occasion he did sleep, recurring dreams of his counterpart would befall him, having to live through tainted memories of his childhood.

And every time he woke up, he was drenched in cold sweat. He'd break out in pants that would escalate to uncontrollable sobs.

The guilt tore at him. It was like drowning in an ocean of black tar, surrounded by darkness that enters your every crevice, that fills your lungs, your eye socket and mouth. That doesn't let you breathe.

Even Ink had gotten worried, noticing how his Boss took care of himself less. However, every time he had even tried to help him, Dream would lash out.

While Ink wasn't one to be sympathetic, he had also felt remorse. He knew he was part of the deed and he felt just as helplessly regretful.

It was only through thorough searching that he found something that might help his Boss' distress.

A lover.

Nightmare's lover to be exact.

When he had come up to Dream to notify him of her existence, the skeleton swore he saw tears.

To put it simply, Dream was torn.

Attempting to approach a woman whose husband died, and that said husband's blood lays on his hands, would definitely end badly.

But he knew it was the right thing to do. He had done so many wrongs that he had to make at least something right.

                                         ***

With a heavy heart and faltering steps, Dream approached her door, each footfall echoing the tumult raging within him. He raised a hand, hesitating before knocking, the sound reverberating in the stillness of the forsaken domain.

The woman inside the house stilled at the sound. She  was conflicted between opening the door or waiting until the person left. However, it wasn't often someone presented themselves at her door, considering she lives in a secluded area. She began walking towards the entrance at the off chance that it might be important.

On the way, Y/N looked at herself in a hung-up mirror. She was a mess. The corners of her eyes were red, her eyes still puffy and they held a certain despair to them, all indicators of the constant crying.

She couldn't care less though. She was past the point to take care of herself anymore.

Looking through the peephole, she gasped audibly. "No.."