Part-41

Chapter 41

All of a sudden, a knock interrupted us. And both me and Vierra pulled away. She went behind her desk and said "Come in"

___________________

She said and Arina walked in. She looked at Vierra and her brows furrowed. I noticed there was still some blood on Vierra's lips.

I'm pretty sure Arina noticed but decided not to say anything. "I just got a tip from one of my spies that the Duchess Alina is meeting someone anonymously" Arina said.

"Okay, Inform Luke. He's still at Alina's manor. He would be able to track down whoever Alina is meeting" Vierra said.

Arina nodded and left the room without a word. Vierra picked up a file and started going over it.

I walked around the desk and snatched the file out of her hand. Vierra looked at me calmly and said "What is it?"

"Can't you at least care a bit for her?" I asked angrily. "It's not necessary" Vierra said not meeting my eyes.

"Oh come on, not this bullsh!t again. Do you really think this cold exterior of yours is helping anyone?" I asked.

Vierra kept looking at me and didn't say anything so, I kept going. "If you continue to try to act indifferently and hurtful towards everyone. A time will come when you'll have no one in your corner" I said.

But still Vierra was silent. I felt so much anger at her silence that I couldn't explain. I turned to leave but Vierra grabbed my wrist turning me around.

"I..." Vierra started but didn't say anything. In that moment, she looked so vulnerable. For the first time there was some emotion on her face which I couldn't quite read.

"What is it Vierra?" I snapped but she didn't say anything and eventually released my wrist.

I kept standing there and she went back to her chair and picked the file. After that I walked out of the room.

At night,

I decided to go to Arina's room. I knocked on the door and walked in. Arina was sitting on her bed with a book in her hand but she looked so much fragile in that moment.

I walked to her and sat on one side of the bed. "Hey" I said and she looked up. She smiled weakly at me and said "Hi"

"What are you reading?" I asked. "Abandoned" she replied her eyes drifting to the book for a few seconds.

I cupped her cheek and said "Are you okay?" She leaned into my touch and said "No" unexpectedly she hugged me and I hugged her back.

We stayed like that for a few moments and them she pulled away. Her eyes were teary and she said "Stay with me tonight"

I looked at her with my lips parted and unable to reply. "Okay" was all I could say.

She brought her lips close to mine and waited a few moments and I connected our lips.