Part-44

As I was getting ready for the ball. Someone knocked on the door of my room. "Come in" I said and Arina walked in.

"Hey" I said. "Hey. Going somewhere?" She asked. " Yeah to another ball with Vierra" I said rolling my eyes. "Didn't she tell you?"

"No.... We haven't talked in a while" she replied looking around. "Why don't you just stop caring for her? It's not like she cares about you in the slightest" I said.

She smiled bitterly and said "Vierra and Luke are the only family I have left. I don't want to lose them. No matter what. Besides, she does care for me she's just bad at expressing it"

"Bad is not the right word, how about terrible?" And Arina chuckled. "Go before she's out to get your head" she said playfully pushing me out if my room.

"Not that she can but okay" I said walking in the direction of the gates of Palace where a carriage is waiting for me and Vierra.

I reached the carriage and climbed in, Vierra was already sitting in. "Let's go" she said and the carriage started moving.

"So, why are we attending this ball?" I asked. "What do you mean?". "I mean, what's our aim? Like what do we want to achieve" I asked.

"Nothing, our aim is to do nothing" she said and I raised an eyebrow. "Care to elaborate?"

"I'm going there to keep everyone distracted with their eyes trained on me as it is very rare for the Queen to attend such balls. So that Luke can find out whatever he can" she explained and I simply nodded.

We arrived at the manor of Duchess Alina and door of the carriage opened. I walked out standing out extending a hand to help Vierra out.

Vierra climbed down. I looked around and saw that Alina was standing in front of the carriage to welcome Vierra.

We walked to Alina and she bowed for Vierra. "Welcome Your Majesty" she said raising up while Vierra looked at her with an expression which I haven't seen on her face for a very long time.

Vierra simply nodded walking inside. We reached the ballroom and the announcer announced the arrival of the Queen.

Every single vampire in the room bowed. Presenting a strange scene before my eyes. "Rise" Vierra said only a single word but it held so much power, so much strength that I wonder how I haven't felt this before.

All the vampires rose and a lot of vampires looking at Vierra shocked giving away that nobody actually expected Vierra to be here.

"It's a ball Enjoy you all" Vierra said. Before walking to the centre of the ballroom. Alina walking behind us.

"Your Majesty, please do the honour of starting the ball" Alina said.

"Very well. start the song" and a song started playing which I sure as hell don't recognize.

She held out a hand for me and I looked at her with a raised eyebrow while panic engulfed me on the inside.

I took a look around us, every single vampire had their eyes trained on us. I took Vierra's hand and she brought us in the starting position.

"What the hell are you thinking? I'm not good enough of a dancer neither do I recognize this song" I mouthed very lowly hoping no one but Vierra could hear it.

"Don't worry. Just follow my lead" she said looking at me with the expression she has been wearing since the moment we have arrived but her eyes they were a bit softer.

I frowned slightly at the prospect of following her lead but quickly hid it remembering hundred of vampires present here.

At the end of the song the lights turned back on and everyone started clapping. Vierra walked to one side of the room where a throne was stationed.

She sat on the throne while I stood by her side. Soon the dance floor filled with vampire couples dancing all around.

A server brought a tray carrying blood for Vierra she picked it up and had a sip. The ball went very smoothly almost too smoothly.

At the end of the ball, we walked out of the manor and to the carriage. "Let's go" she said and the carriage started moving.

Vierra rested her back and closed her eyes. "What happened?" I asked and she opened her eyes looking at me.

"Why?" She asked. "You seem exhausted. So what happened?" I asked. "I'm exhausted" she said still looking at me.

"But why?". "These balls..... I..I used to enjoy them at some point in my life. I liked the effect I had on every vampire in my presence. I liked having thousands of eyes trained on my every move. But now..... It's just exhausting" she said closing her eyes once again.

Moonlight was glinting on Vierra's face through the curtains of the carriage. Under the moonlight Vierra was looking so much beautiful so much at peace that I kept looking at her.

I brushed a stray strand of hair off of her face. And her eyes shot opened. She was looking in my eyes while I still had my hand on her cheek.

It felt like none of us could move. No one wanting to make a wrong move and ruin this perfect moment.

"Solenne..." I heard her whisper my name for the first time since I have arrived. Suddenly, felt like the distance between us was fading away.

Not knowing who crossed the distance first. I found her lips on mine. Both of our eyes closed. And we melted in a slow kiss.

None of us trying to rush the moment. All of a sudden, the carriage came to a stop and both of us pulled apart.

I immediately got off the carriage and went to my room. I laid on my bed thinking about Vierra, thinking about the kiss.