Chapter 18 I Will Wait for you (Bonnie)

How could it have come to this. How could everything have led to this very moment. Bonnie wasn't sure, and maybe it was that fact alone that made him feel so lost. The world felt slow, but your final breaths were creeping around the corner. It was driving Bonnie nuts to think that in a few moments you could be lost forever.

Ugh! That thought alone tore him apart. He won't let that happen. He can't. He needed to save you, to get you to the pizzeria faster. Did he have to get stuck in the slowest car known to man? Is there any chance this thing could go faster?! Time was running out! Maybe Bonnie was being a little harsh about how fast the van was. (After all it's been many years since he's last been in a car. He had almost forgotten what it felt like.)

But to him the van was moving too slow. In the very back of the car, with your dying body clutched in his arms, Bonnie felt like they just weren't going fast enough. His mind was a mess, riddled with thoughts about how he could loose you soon. About how you may not make it home.

His desperation was getting the best of him.

His eyes gazed down at your sleeping form, your breathing was slow. In a way you almost looked like sleeping beauty. (That was if he didn't focus on your torn clothes and bloodied body.)

The van jerked as it hit a speed bump, nearly sending the two of you flying in the back. Bonnie was quick to hold you close bracing, then once the moment was gone he relaxed. His fingers were shaky as they gently ran along the side of your face trying to make sure you were okay even if you were dying.

It's not his fault. He did everything he could have. He has to keep repeating that inside his head, that this wasn't his fault. But it felt like it was. He hated how much you've suffered. How much pain you had endured while being alone.

You let out a shaky breath now, your eyebrows furrowed. You seemed troubled, lips creased into a deep frown rather than neutral. Were you having a bad dream? No you can't be having bad dreams right now. Bonnie couldn't stand that if you were. He had to do something about it.

"It's okay. Shh, I'm here princess. Just listen to my voice. I'm here and I'm not going anywhere." Bonnie pulled you closer to his chest as he whispered close to your ear.

You were moments away from death. (How many times could he emphasize that.) Your breathing was so slow that it almost looked like you weren't breathing at all. But you relaxed to his words. Body slumping and face resting more peacefully. You are not alone.

Not like he was when he died. Not like the others had been. He wasn't going to let you go through this alone any longer if he could help it. Another speed bump sent the two of you flying again for a moment, this time it caused Bonnie's head to whip around towards the front. (No matter how many speed bumps they hit when they turned someplace Bonnie still felt like they were going too slow.)

"Can't this thing go any faster! We won't make it in time to save her if we keep going this slow!" Bonnie didn't mean to sound so desperate. But he was so scared.

"Oh shut up, I'm going as fast as I can." Vincent snapped from the driver seat.

"He said drive. Watch your words, remember who is in this car." Goldie glared at Vincent, his threat was mild compared to what he could have said. But it was just enough to push the vehicle to its limit as Vincent sped up.

Bonnie looked back down at you observing your face carefully. Making sure you weren't having any more bad dreams. He wished he had gotten to you sooner still. Wished that he hadn't gotten tied up with shadow the way that he had. But he's gone for now. Certainly not to bother you or the others for a few years while he regained his strength.