Chapter 14 The Demon's Trap

BEEP.

BEEP.

BEEP.

What's that noise? It was steady, reminding you of a heart monitor. Everything sounded so far away, and yet somehow it sounded close. As if it was right beside you. Where were you?

You could hear vague talking, muffled by the door in the room you assumed. It was getting closer until finally there was a creak. Someone was walking in. Shoes squeaked against tile floors, or what you assumed, as two people stepped inside.

"Here she is." A man spoke, he seemed hesitant.

"O-oh god," the second voice sounded tearful the woman seemed pained, "pl-please, please tell me she's going to be okay."

She sounded as if she was trying so hard to keep herself composed. But there was only so much she could hold back. The doctor seemed quite, pondering over her question. You could hear everything now.

Though your eyes were shut, unable to open enveloped in the darkness. You wanted to open them. You wanted to see what was happening. But no matter what you did there was no waking up. The only sound in the room was the beeping, it was slow, steady and persistent. (Was that a heart monitor? You guessed so. Even if you can't see the idea of it just felt right. Just like the man being a doctor. That felt right too.)

"I know this must be hard for you seeing your daughter like this." The doctor was solum. You could almost imagine him reaching his hand out to grab the woman's shoulder in a way of consonance.

The woman sounded like she was sobbing into her hand, the two of them in the room sounded as if they were right in front of you.

"My baby- my sweet little Angel." The woman cried, her hiccups loud. She sounded like she was taking a step forward rushing towards the bed only to be stopped.

"Mrs. Emily, please I have to ask you to be cautious. She's still recovering." The doctor sounded so serious. (Mrs. Emily. That sounded so familiar. But your last name was (L/N), so why did it matter if it was familiar or not?)

"I-Im sorry I just-I-I just can't loose anymore people! First my husband, then my little boy, I can't loose (Y/N) too. She's all I have left." Mrs. Emily sounded tearful more so than before, but she said your name. Did you know her?

"She will be okay Mrs. Emily." The doctor gave Mrs. Emily a pat on the shoulder again.
"She's a strong girl. It's amazing how the human body can live without the frontal lobe. I know with a loving mother like you she'll be better in no time."

You've heard that before. You know you have. On the phone. The previous night guard had mentioned it, but this can't be about you. This just has to be a weird dream! Yeah just another weird dream. Mrs. Emily was sobbing again, she sounded so broken.

"How-how bad are the long term effects? Will she still be my little girl?" There was a long pause, but her question was not going to go unanswered.

"It's hard to say with this sort of thing. But if you're careful about it I do believe she'll grow up to be a normal girl. I will warn you though, she may have dissociative amnesia. It could go as far as replacing traumatic memories with new ones, they may even replace you in some with a different person. It's all normal however, judging by the damage we suspect it'll only affect childhood memories." The doctor was trying his best to condense the information. You could hear it in the way her pause occasionally.

But it sounded crazy. You'd forget big things from your childhood and replace them new memories? It was just too crazy. But then again, spending five nights with the gang before they knew who you were was crazy. (Even if it was only 2 days for you.)