Chapter 5 Pieces Of A Bigger Puzzle

Key: (H/C)=Hair Color

What was this feeling? You felt light, as if you were floating but how could you be floating? You should be sitting on the couch at home, trying to watch tv and trying to forget about the dream.

The dream. It's still so fresh inside your mind, and yet at the same time so fuzzy and far away. You wanted to remember, but then again no you didn't. Your eyes remained shut, unwilling to open until light brushed against the closed lids forcing them open.

You realized you weren't floating, but laying on the floor. How did you get here? Where was here exactly? Groggily you pushed your body up looking around. It's dark, it's so dark. Your body shook at the thought of how dark it was, the dark has never been your friend.

It would of been even darker if it hadn't of been for some sort of light beneath your body. It's cold, the air was crisp, you could see your breath leaving your lips. Where are you? The question kept bubbling up inside your mind, but it remained unanswered.

You couldn't stay here for long, you knew that, something about sitting here for so long filled you with a sense of dread. Like you suspected the longer you sit here the faster something would run at you from out of the darkness. Your heart sped up at the idea of something horrifying emerging from the depth of this strange place to come and attack you.

You forced your self to stand, but the cold air made you shiver and had you wrap your arms around yourself, is it safe to walk forward? Forwards or backwards? Which way should you step? Did it even matter? Which way was forward? Which way was backwards?

You had turned your head while debating eyebrows furrowed in concentration as you scanned the empty area around you. It's so dark besides where you had stepped it was hard to even tell if there was anything beyond the light you were standing on.

There's only one way to find out.

Sucking in a breath you walked forward your thoughts encouraging you to do so, as you took that first step light appeared on the floor. You wondered what that was supposed to mean, but you assumed that it was guiding you somewhere. Or maybe even illuminating the way for you so you could see even just a little bit.

"O-okay." You spoke aloud but the statement wasn't for anyone but your self as you shuddered are the cold teeth chattering. You guessed you could walk further than where you had woken up.

Your footsteps echoed all around you and the longer you walked the more you felt as though someone else was walking by your side, smaller feet but still someone was with you. Normally that sort of feeling should be unsettling, but this feeling was almost welcomed. Who ever was beside you, some part of you trusted them.

How long have you been walking now? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? You couldn't quite tell, time didn't seem real here. But you hadn't been walking for very long regardless of the fact it sure felt like you had.

Is this it? Is this as far as you needed to go? The moment you stopped walking you found your feet wouldn't carry you a step further. You felt glued to the floor. The sound of a light being turned on filled the silence with noise, causing your head to turn quickly in its direction. What was that? Where did that noise come from?

Your question was answered as light shimmered on a large portrait size picture of you as a child. Your eyes widened at the sight not expecting to see something so familiar in such a dark place. Your shoulders relaxed in the slightest, and your eyes gazed over the image.

You were so little. (Well at least back then it felt like you had been so little even if you weren't that young.) So naive. You were walking again, but not in the direction you had stopped in, you wanted to get a better look at the picture as it hung there. You wanted to see the innocence in your eyes. The you that wasn't afraid of the dark and what hid inside it.