Chapter 2 First Night Terrors

Where did the day go? You felt like you just woke up and rushed out of the apartment to what was supposed to be a job interview and then returned with the news of getting the job on the spot.

(F/N)'s reaction still stuck in your mind, the shock and excitement that quickly dwindled down to suspicion and confusion.

"Wait you're telling me you signed a contract with out even reading it?"

"Always read the fine print! We aren't that desperate! It would of been okay to wait until the right job found you!"

"Are you sure you still want to go to your shift tonight? You don't have to..."

Those were just some of the things they had said to you before you left the house. Emphasis on the word some.

Sitting here now, in the vacant parking lot, you wondered just what you've signed yourself up for. Or just how long you've been sitting here. (Even if it had only been 5 minutes at the most, it felt like eternity trying to get your confidence up.)

You pressed your lips together while gripping the steering wheel in both hands, gradually resting your head on it closing your eyes. Deep breaths.

Maybe (F/N) was right this is kinda stupid. You didn't even bother to read the words to the contract but you were afraid if you did you wouldn't take the job. And despite their kind words of waiting for the right job to find you, you knew that you were that desperate. And besides, it seemed okay so far.

Mr. Cawthon seems nice too, I mean he runs a business. A business for kids. He didn't strike me as the type to purposely put someone in harms way. I mean, he kinda seemed like a people pleaser to me. Or maybe I'm thinking too much about this. How would I know how he is based off one conversation?

Your eyes had opened during your inner monologue, looking off to the side to the passenger seat. You didn't want to move. Every cell in your body begged you to stay and just drive away. Remain here inside your car where it was safe.

But you knew you couldn't just abandon this now. Sucking in a breath you sat up straighter relaxing you're grip on the wheel.

I don't want to be late.

Your thoughts tried to persuade you. Slowly your eyes glanced up to the rear view mirror, peering into the backseat. You're not sure what you expected to see but you were thankful nothing was back there. (You felt the eyes again. Those red eyes that haunt you in your nightmares.)

Your eyes traveled outside now, looking at the large building before you. It's much scarier at night even if some of the lights are still on inside. It was like the dust was settling and what remained was the pizzeria's true form. Something scary and sinister. But it still urged you inside. (Come on. Come on. You know you want to go in.)

Deep breaths, okay.

Sucking in a breath, and releasing it shakily, you pressed your lips together.

I can do this.

You nodded to yourself at your own encouragement, exiting the car listening to the beeps it made as it locked. Your eyes gazed at the barely legible reflection of yourself against the window. The moon was to dim to catch you in the light. But seeing yourself now I'm uniform you tried to convince yourself this was a good thing. (Even if the uniform is loose, but overall fits as it should. You guessed. It was clearly made for a large man, not you.)

Your gaze turned to stare at the entrance, almost hearing the clocks from within turn from 11:27 to 11:28 the longer you waited out here. Another chill ran down your spine. Fear crawling up the bone and sticking to your skin like a tick burying its head inside you, to leech off of you. (Except there wasn't anything that could do that with fear. Or so you rationalized.)