Chapter Two

The moon was high in the sky when we returned to our shelter, a cave hidden in the thickets of the forest.

"No more daytime hunts. We are too in the open. A pack wolf could've found us. We are not too far from the nearest pack border," Nox said as he roasted two rabbits over a small fire.

"Agreed. I don't understand. We have traveled miles and killed hundreds of rogues, and we are nowhere closer to an answer than when we started," I said as I paced the cave.

"Don't worry, Nyx. We will figure it out. We won't stop until we get answers," he soothed as he cooked.

"I think we should leave tomorrow night. I can't shake the feeling that someone else was there. They will look for us soon," I explained.

"I already prepared our bags and cloaks for the trip. We will keep moving south. No hunts tomorrow, Nyx. I mean it," he said as he removed the food from the fire.

"Okay," I said with a sigh.

"Give me your word," he demanded.

I rolled my eyes.

"I swear to the moon goddess that I will not kill a rogue tomorrow," I swore with my right hand raised.

He patted the spot next to him, and I joined him by the fire.

"I'll get water for the trip in the morning," he said as he devoured his rabbit.

"Find some manners, too, while you're at it," I said as I scooted away from him.

He smiled at me and flashed a mouthful of food before returning to his meal.

"I need better friends," I muttered.

"I'm your only friend," he quickly retorted.

I threw a bone at his head before finishing the meal in comfortable silence. We snuffed out the fire, and I took the first watch as he slept. The night was quiet and uneventful.

I woke up to an empty cave and a soot-filled firepit. I quickly braided my curls and packed up our shelter, ensuring traces of our presence were removed. I peeked out of the cave and noticed it was later than I thought. Nox should've been back by now. I returned to my bag and was about to retrieve my dagger when Enyo whimpered.

"We need to find him," I explained.

"No more silver," she demanded.

I rolled my eyes.

"Please, Calista," she pleaded.

"Alright, alright. Just mask our scent," I conceded.

I grabbed my black cloak and turned it inside out, revealing a forest green cover. I donned the well-made cape, drew the hood forward, and left our hideaway. I followed his scent in the shadows for miles, careful not to make any sounds. Then, after an hour, I began to hear running water nearby but also voices. I crouched low in the bushes and peeked out. Nox was standing to my left, our canteens by his feet, and a man with dirty blonde hair was to my right.

"I'll ask you again. What are you doing here, rogue?" the man demanded.

"Just passing through. That's not a crime," Nox said with a smirk.

"Your existence is a crime," the man spat with venom.

"To each their own," Nox shrugged, "now, if you'll excuse me."

The man began to walk closer to Nox.

"You won't be going anywhere. The Night Fang Pack protects this land," the man announced.