Chapter Forty-Six

"A Rogue has never been known to tell the truth, especially when it does not serve them. What benefit do you get out of telling us about this supposed threat? This could simply be a misdirection. Those Rogues could be following your guidance after all," the bushy-eyebrowed Elder asked as he folded his arms on the massive table before him.

"Elder Atha is correct. Why wouldn't your loyalties lie with those of your kind? It wouldn't make sense for a Rogue to help the pack that displays their comrades' heads along their borders," Elder Vallis pondered as he leaned back in his chair.

I slowly looked over each of the Elders as they awaited my answer. Their eyes were calculating as their minds ran rampant with their own theories and dark desires. Despite better judgment, my eyes stopped wandering when they connected with irises rivaling the purest amber. I looked away as quickly as possible, unwilling to be thrown off course.

"To think that those Rogues who erratically run through those trees, desperate for conflict, are following my guidance is an insult to my name," I spat.

"Never confuse my intentions. My loyalties will never lie with the weak that bend those beneath them for their own benefit. I am enlightening you on the imminent threat to your pack because my brother is incapacitated within these borders. My confidence in your warriors' abilities to protect everything within these borders has swayed as the guidance behind their actions is questionable at best," I explained in a matter-of-fact tone.

"And what would some mutt thrown out by her pack know about what is needed to keep thousands safe? You judge from such a low place that any reasonings would be beyond you if you could even comprehend them, to begin with," Elder Palas insulted, practically foaming at the mouth.

I smirked as pure malice filled my eyes.

"And yet, you waste your time with this pointless display while death knocks at your door. Comprehension has never been my problem."

"So, you, in fact, know who this threat is?" the silver-haired Elder asked.

"Not in the slightest, but I slit enough of their throats to know they are coming with only one mission. The annihilation of this pack and everything that surrounds it."

"It's simple really. You've been worrying about the wrong Rogue, dear Council. Whatever is coming is far worse than you could imagine. I think it may be best to prepare," I added with dark humor.

Almost every Elders' eyes turned hard at my last few words, except one. I examined the silver-haired Elder closely. I could've sworn I saw a smirk decorate his lips for a second, but when I blinked, it was gone. Who the fuck was this?

"How did you know they needed your help?" Elder Atha asked after a tense pause in the room.

My eyes drifted to him, turning cold immediately.

"What?" I asked as I fought the temptation to turn my attention back to that silver-haired grandpa.

"How did you know that the Delta needed your assistance? They were far outside our pack borders. Even our wolves lost contact from that distance," he asked as he watched me closely.

I hummed as I thought.

"Sounds like you have weak border wolves," I answered with a shrug.

"Do not tempt me, Rogue. Your lashing count is already high. It is nothing to add more," Elder Atha threatened.

"Don't tempt me with a good time, Elder. I might confuse this punishment as a reward instead," I mocked with a devilish smirk.

"You will treat those above you with respect, you bitch!" Elder Palas spat.

"I advise the same to you," I quipped.

"The question, Rogue," Elder Vallis redirected.

I rolled my eyes.

"You didn't believe me the last time, so I chose to save my breath."

"Humor me," the silver-haired Elder said as he rubbed his chin.

I took a moment to analyze his interesting aura before locking eyes with his once again.

"My wolf heard him call for her," I answered with curiosity.

"We expected a truthful answer," Elder Anthis quickly argued.

"And I expected a wolf of your stature to be able to distinguish between lies and honesty," I spat.

"And how were you able to reach them in time?" the silver-haired Elder asked thoughtfully.

I raised my brow as he captured my attention.

"Something about him feels...familiar," my wolf said as she tried to sniff him out, combating the silver effects.

"I wouldn't say that I made it in time. Ask the Alpha."

"But as for that answer, you would have to ask the Moon Goddess. I do not know," I added.

He hummed as the Elder beside him, Vallis, seemed to be consumed in delight and interest.

"He gives me the fucking creeps," I complained to Enyo.

"We have to be careful around that one."

Before the silver-haired Elder could ask another question, Elder Atha stopped him with a brief mind link with the rest of the members. I took the intermission to glance over to the panting woman beside me. She was holding her side as her face was gleaming with sweat. I could smell the faint scent of iron. The stupid woman reopened her wound from her display of respect. I rolled my eyes as I scooted over, closing the small gap between us. Kass looked at me with confusion and agitation as I huffed at her stupidity. I dipped my shoulder and gestured to her to put her body weight against me. She adamantly refused. I growled lowly as my wolf flashed in my eyes.

"A dead wolf is hardly helpful in any situation," I harshly whispered.

"Says the one with a death wish," she muttered.

I smirked before moving back to my original position. A few warriors began to hastily walk out of the room as the Elders concluded their small meeting.

"Rogue," Elder Atha called out, catching my attention.

"The Council has taken into consideration all accounts provided by our gracious Alpha Maddox, 3rd expedition commander Souros, and Dr. Iaso. The recovered expedition wolves are still incapacitated from their injuries to give their testimonies to back Souros' speculation. You are sentenced to twenty-five lashings and a night in the cells for your constant disrespectful displays and inadequate recovery attempts. The lives lost cannot solely be attributed to the expedition attack when there is a large gap of time that you were not accounted for, regardless of your heated admission. Additionally, you escaped and damaged the pack house without permission. Those are all punishable acts. Be grateful for our leniency. Your original sentence was death for you and your brother, but some still think you will be useful to us in the near future. Don't let their attempts to save your life go in vain," he recited.

Kass stiffened beside me. I looked over at the Alpha to find him two seconds from shifting. His knuckles were white where they gripped the arm of his throne. The Elders all looked smug in their seats as they awaited my reaction.

"Well, let's get this show on the road," I said with a smirk as I raised my chains.