Chapter Nine

Dreamless sleep and IV changes filled the following two days. My body craved rest to fight the harsh effects of the silver and the constant injuries, only opening my eyes to watch the nurses as they tended to Nox. He remained in a peaceful sleep, his face void of any emotions as his color returned to his cheeks. I took comfort in his steady heartbeat and annoying monitor as it screamed at me that he was stable. His body took in the donated blood with ease, as I knew it would. Nevertheless, the staff watched him closely. We needed to leave as soon as he woke up by any means necessary, this pack leaving me uneasy. I rejected the offered meals when they came, leaving them to grow cold on the nearby table. The staff was terrified to enter the room, so they never argued my objections.

The next day I was awoken by a tap on my shoulder, the sun dancing along my skin from the nearby window.

"Yes, Doctor?" I asked without opening my eyes.

"I need to check your back," she answered as I heard her foot tapping behind me.

"I'm fine. Check his instead," I retorted.

"You know the nurses have already done so. You refused their help and breakfast this morning when they came," she quipped.

I peeked my eye open and looked at her over my shoulder. Her seasoned hair was clipped back so that it was off her shoulders, showing off her studded earrings. She donned a white laboratory coat and a pair of pastel pink scrubs, swallowing her slender frame. She raised her eyebrow at me as she rested her hand on her hip. I sighed and carefully got out of bed, making sure I didn't disturb the unconscious man next to me. I turned to face the door, the back of my gown facing the doctor. She carefully undid my ties and examined each lash as she put on her gloves. She poked and prodded as I stood still before her, my eyes trained on his monitor as his pulse danced across the screen.

"You—your wounds are healing quite well with all things considered. There was a major improvement since the last time I saw you," Doctor Iaso said with slight shock as she fastened my gown.

She checked my bandaged wrists, exposing my red healing skin.

"Have you always healed quickly? Even as a child?" she asked as she turned over my wrist, examining it in the sun.

"I don't remember my childhood," I answered curtly.

"I'm sorry if that was a sensitive question," she said as she looked at me with kind eyes.

I nodded. She rewrapped my wrist, took out her stethoscope, and listened to my strong heartbeat.

"You are progressing nicely. I'll give it another day of antibiotics in your IV and tack on another day of rest sans silver, and you should be as good as new. Once the healing process is over, I will transfer you into the care of my daughter to deal with the scarring. Because the wounds were given with silver, the scarring will be severe. My daughter has been experimenting with different herbs to promote the erasure of the most severe damage. It's not guaranteed to work, but it's worth a shot. She will be back in town in a few days, and you will start seeing her then," she detailed as she removed her gloves and put her stethoscope around her neck.

I nodded as I sat back on the bed.

"The scarring is not important. I already have what I want," I said with a shrug.

"Well, it won't hurt to try," she said as she walked out of the room.

Just as I lay back down, she reappeared with a large brown paper bag. I watched her curiously as she sat at the table, draping her stethoscope on the chair behind her.

"Join me," she said as she gestured to the chair across her.

I sighed and walked over, looking at the bag with interest as I sat. The doctor smiled softly as she rummaged in the bag, pulling out a plastic container. She moved the bag to the side and opened the lid, revealing a thick stew. The savory aroma wafted into the room, reminding me of a simpler time.

"I made beef stew last night. It's a bit out of season, but I was craving something hardy," she explained as she mixed the stew.

Peas, carrots, and thick beef chunks danced around in the viscous stew as she mixed it with some fluffy rice. She blew on the stew before taking a generous bite, closing her eyes as she enjoyed the flavor.

"Would you like to try some?" she asked as she took another bite.

I hesitated as I looked down at the container's contents as the doctor helped herself to a piece of tender beef. My stomach growled as I weighed out my options. The hospital food I had been offered looked bland and dry, and I didn't trust the cooks. I hadn't had a meal since before we were captured and tortured. The doctor reached into her bag, pulled out another spoon, and gave it to me as she pushed the food toward me. I sniffed the container before sinking my spoon into it, watching as steam curled in the air. I took a spoonful and blew on the portion, quickly looking at the doctor. With her approving nod, I took a bite, the flavors dancing on my palate. It had been quite some time since I'd had seasoned food, let alone a composed meal. Nox and I had to hunt for our food, most nights going to bed hungry. We thrived off small meals sporadically through the weeks, never getting our fill but having enough to survive. I savored the bite before sliding her container back to her, giving a nod of appreciation. She pushed the container back to me before pulling another portion from her brown paper bag.

"Eat the rest. I have more," Doctor Iaso said as she began to eat.

We ate in comfortable silence, my bites much smaller and slower than hers.

"So, may I know your name?" the doctor asked between bites.

I hesitated for a moment, looking over my shoulder at Nox.

"You may call me Nyx," I whispered as I looked down at the stew.

"Such a beautiful name," she said with a warm smile.

"My name is Rhea...Rhea Iaso," she added.

I nodded before taking another bite, my stomach quickly becoming full.

"Do you remember how old you are?" she asked cautiously.

I shook my head no as I watched her over my food.

"Well, that's quite alright. It doesn't matter much anyway. If I had to guess, you are around my eldest daughter's age. I look forward to introducing you. She needs more friends," she said happily.

Another moment of comfortable silence passed.

"How...how many pups do you have?" I asked, pushing the dish away.

I only managed to eat about a fourth of the small portion.

"Well, they haven't been pups for a while now, but I have one son and two daughters. Orion, Alexandra, and Diona," she listed.

"Are they all still a part of this pack?"

"Yes, but outside of my youngest, they travel often. Orion is a warrior, so he is often sent on expeditions. Alexandra travels to gain more medical training to help the pack."

I thought for a while but decided not to ask anything more of her family.

"If they were ever to let you go, where would you go?" she asked, concerned.

"Don't worry about a couple of Rogues, Rhea. We are meant to be free," I said, waving away her worry.

"Every wolf deserves a stable home. A pack. Someone to keep them safe."

"Not all packs are safe, and not all homes are buildings."

She hesitated, absorbing my words.

"Thanks for the meal," I said as I got to my feet and climbed back into bed.

She quietly packed up her meal and left the room, looking at us once more before closing the door behind her.