Chapter Fourteen

There was a knock at the door as I was doing triceps dips using the nearby ridged chair. I had spent the dwindling bit of my day doing various strengthening exercises to pass the time. I stalled as I watched Rhea push Diona into the room in a wheelchair. The girl's thigh and mid-calf were bandaged as well as her left ankle. Diona smiled as she saw me before taking a glance over at Nox. Enyo perked up at their scents.

"Someone was asking to see you," the Doctor said as she parked Diona's wheelchair in the middle of the room.

"That's embarrassing, Mom," Diona muttered before looking over at me with excitement in her eyes.

"Why would you be interested in seeing a mangy old rogue?" I asked as I stood wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"You weren't the one that was mangy," she answered with a shudder.

"Well, he's the least of your worries now. How's your leg?"

"She'll be fine before you know it. Outside of a twisted ankle and a few deep scratches, she's healthy," Rhea answered.

I nodded. The doctor's eyes glossed over briefly.

"I'll be right back," the doctor said before leaving the room.

"And how's your mind? Are you alright?" I asked after a moment of silence as I leaned against the counter with my arms folded.

She looked down at her hands as she played with her fingers. She cleared her throat as she tried to stifle her emotions.

"I'm alright," she answered shakily.

I watched her fidget for a moment before looking over at Nox. Enyo whimpered softly.

"When I was...several years ago, I had my first real Rogue encounter. I was alone and terrified. I had wandered far away from where I stayed at the time, enjoying the moon's light and silence. Before I knew it, I had ventured too far. I didn't recognize my surroundings and couldn't follow my footprints back. I wasn't strong, and I certainly wasn't fast. I thought my mother had come for me when I heard a nearby tree branch snap. She would always look for me if it got too late, and I had called for her for what felt like hours. My voice was scratchy after the first hour. Unfortunately for me, it was actually a rather large, patchy, brown Rogue with decaying canines and striking yellow eyes. Looking back on it now, it must've been following me for a while, but I never knew what to listen for. It would've killed me if it wasn't for my brother. He heard my mother calling for me and went to find me himself, promising to bring me back. He charged in, waving around a silver knife, threatening to slit the Rogue's throat. I was lying on the ground bleeding from a deep scratch across my chest and a ragged bite mark on my shoulder. He fought as hard as he could and forced the wolf back with silver until my mother found us. I had nightmares for weeks afterward," I recounted as Diona looked up at me with tear-filled eyes.

"It's okay to cry. Hell, it happens to the best of us. But once you're done, you will wipe those tears and pick yourself up. Tomorrow will always bring on new challenges, and you have no choice but to face them head-on," I added.

Tears rolled down her face as she nodded.

"It just—it all just happened so fast. One moment I was taking the long way home singing my favorite song, and the next minute I was running toward someone screaming. She just sounded so scared, and I wanted to help her like my family always does. It took me a while to get to her, but once I got there, there was so much blood, and that Rogue was standing over her. I wanted to help her, but I—I wasn't strong enough. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling of its claws slicing through my skin as if it was nothing. Ms. Sophia threw something at the Rogue to catch its attention before she told me to run away. I should've stayed and helped her but—but I didn't know what to do. So, I ran as fast as possible, twisting my ankle as I dodged the Rogue's attacks before I got away. I had just lost that thing in the forest before climbing up that tree you found me in. I'm such a coward. She risked her life to help me escape, and I let her die. I was supposed to save her," she said as she started to cry harder.

I watched her for a moment as I weighed out my next words, Enyo urging me to say something.

"Our world is cold and cruel. It has never been kind to the weak. Ask any Omega. I'll teach you how to protect yourself so you will never feel defenseless again. You did the best you could, but I will show you how to do better," I offered after a deep sigh.

"But I can't shift yet," she said as she wiped her face.

"You should always know how to fight in both forms. You will not always be able to rely on your wolf's strength," I responded.

"My brother tried to teach me a few moves he learned in training, but I was never able to do it," she rebutted, unsure.

"Maybe you just need a better teacher," I dismissed with a shrug.

Her tears slowed as she fiddled with her fingers.

"Nerves will get you killed, kid. If you want something, you will have to take it. You will always feel like a coward if you don't try," I added.

She nodded.

"I don't want to be a coward," she said softly before agreeing to train.

Rhea returned shortly after, raising her eyebrow as she looked at me.

"What?" I asked.

"What's this I'm hearing about a request to transfer?" she asked with a hand on her hip.

I glanced out the window to see the sun starting to set, and I smirked.