Chapter Seventeen

Tendrils of smoke curled in the air as I walked through the forest, my mind racing. I crunched on a few walnuts as the moon bathed me in her glow, a silent thank you in the air. The view of the hospital dotted in the space between the trees, my whitewashed prison. The smell of sandalwood and vanilla gave away his location before his shadow could even appear. His shadowy figure stood at the edge of the forest, his anger traveling the short distance. I pulled the cloak forward, masking my solemn expression, as I readied for his wrath.

"There was no mention of a fucking fire in our agreement!" he roared as soon as his form clarified.

"I threw in the body disposal for free," I said as I stopped in front of him, the trees casting a shadow over my form.

I pulled out a tuft of fur from my boot as I tuned out his bitching. I tossed it over at him, cutting his sentence short.

"The scent from the hair will match the remnants left on the dogwood bush a few feet away and the remains left over from the fire. And there's still half an hour to spare," I said as I walked past him.

He grabbed my forearm before I could make it far.

"You will be punished for this," he threatened.

"So, whip me again. I'm due for another nap," I quipped as I pulled my arm from the brute's grip before walking away.

"I expect the remaining part of your deal to be given in the morning. Follow the smoke, Alpha. Your proof is burning," I said over my shoulder.

He growled before hastily entering the forest, determined to contain the high flames. I walked to my room, ignoring the stares and whispers. Not even my disgust for this pack and hospital could break me from my conflicting thoughts.

I woke up to the sounds of approaching footsteps. I sighed as the door was thrust open, and warriors wielding silver weapons flooded into the small area. I looked around lazily as I leaned on my elbow, assessing the situation with boredom. With my dagger taped to my inner thigh, I was ready for anything. The Alpha and Beta strolled in with a fleet of nurses following, with Rhea in tow, chart in hand.

"When I said morning, I was thinking of something more during daylight hours," I muttered as I rolled my eyes.

"Get the fuck up, Rogue," a bulky, dark red-haired man ordered.

He was a few inches shorter than the Beta but twice as muscular. He was shirtless with a large fang branded onto his tan chest. His slanted dark brown eyes showed nothing but hatred.

"Who the fuck is that?" I asked Rhea plainly as she walked over to me.

Before she could answer, he cut her off.

"I am the head pack warrior, disrespectful mutt. You'll pay for what you did to my men!" he threatened with a growl.

I yawned as I looked over at him.

"Is that a promise?" I taunted, disinterested.

He growled louder in response.

"We don't have time for this! Get the fuck up, Rogue, before I change my mind," the Alpha threatened.

"An Alpha who breaks a deal? How becoming," I said as Rhea nudged me before she tended to Nox.

I rolled my eyes and got off the bed, watching the nurses as they began to ready Nox. They would nervously glance my way occasionally, feeling my intimidating stare. I smirked before I walked over to our bags and grabbed them, my new clothes filling both. Rhea dictated to the nurses as they began to wheel Nox from the room. The line of warriors stopped me from following, and I growled in annoyance. The Beta walked in front of me after a few minutes, waving off the guards as he exited the room. Sparks danced on my shoulder as the Alpha roughly pushed me forward. I growled again as I looked at him over my shoulder. He smirked in response.

"All I need is one reason, and you'll be stuck in the cells. Far away from that brother of yours," he threatened.

That only deepened my growl as Enyo flashed in my eyes; red flashed in his in response. I begrudgingly followed the dumbass Beta as the Alpha followed closely behind me, his warriors surrounding us.

The Beta lead us down the winding dirt path that cut through this pack's forest. Between the breaks in the trees, I could see a multi-floored house made of grey stone and wood. As we exited the forest, I craned my neck to fully see the entire building. By the many scents in the air, I knew it was the packhouse. It was modernly structured with wooden support beams on the bottom level, and burgundy rose bushes decorated the front porch. Every floor was decorated with big windows, some cracked open to let in the fresh air. We walked around to the back, entering through large double wooden doors. The interior rivaled in taste as the wood and grey stone complemented the décor filling the home. There were large archways, tasteful rugs lining long hallways and massive staircases, and oil paintings of various sceneries. We walked up six flights of stairs before we stopped at the last landing. There were two hallways, one on either side of the wooden landing. The overwhelming smell of sandalwood and vanilla lightly wafted from the right.

"I will take it from here," the Alpha stated as his warriors circled the landing.

"Are you sure, Alpha? I don't mind helping to keep the mutt in line," the head warrior offered.

"I would like to see you try," I muttered as I looked around.

"I said you are dismissed. Don't forget your place," the Alpha reiterated with annoyance.

"Yes, Alpha," the head warrior submitted, offering his neck.

"Such a bitch," I muttered as I walked past the so-called head warrior, following the Alpha down the hallway saturated in his scent.

The warrior's growl echoed behind me. I tried to peek into the rooms I passed, but every door was closed. Finally, he stopped in front of the third to last door to the end of the hallway. He opened the door and gestured me inside. The room was tasteful, giving me a long-awaited break from the haunting white walls of the hospital. To the far left was a stone fireplace with doors set into the wall on either side of it. Before the fireplace were two wooden chairs with plush red cushions, a coffee table between them. Large windows filled the wall directly in front of me, large curtains shielding me from its views. A small eating table with chairs sat before the windows. To my right sat two beds, one not quite fitting in with the theme. Nox lay in a new, smaller hospital bed with plush cushions and thick white duvets. He was attached to a new monitor and fresh IV bags. Next to him was a massive, lavish bed with tall bedposts and white, fluffy duvets with blood-red accents. A grey vanity and matching wardrobe were on the same wall as the entering door.

"As much as I would rather throw you back into the cells, discretion and safety are more important given our circumstances. I can't risk more people finding out about the resident Rogue, who continues to break out of the hospital full of my pack members. So this is my only option until our problem is resolved, though you do not deserve these luxuries. Don't get used to it," he said as he leaned on the threshold, watching as I took in the room.

"You are not to leave this room. Your food will be delivered, and you already have everything you need here. Break out, and you will end up back at the hospital in a coma from blood loss," he added threateningly.

I rolled my eyes as I walked over to Nox, checking him for injuries.

"The council has requested your presence tonight after the sun sets. So be ready for when I come for you," he said before leaving, locking the door behind him.

"I cannot wait to meet the people I have been itching to kill," I said as I placed our bags on the floor before climbing into the new bed and scooted closer to Nox.