Chapter Six

I heard disjointed whispers as I slowly regained consciousness. I couldn't move or talk as I fought against the fog that consumed my mind. My body felt like dead weight.

"—warriors. They are costing us lives—" an angry voice gripped.

"—answers. We must find—" a gruff tone explained, sounding even further away as I began to fade.

"Mate—" was the last thing I heard a thunderous voice say as I drowned again in my dark abyss.

I woke with a start, ready to attack. My vision blurred almost immediately as I tried to discern where I was. Heavy chains rattled as I tried to sit up, but the tight restraints on my wrists and ankles prevented me from even scooting to the side. I mumbled a swear as I tightly squeezed my eyes closed before trying to look again. I was in an identical hospital room with a new, dark wooden door in my direct line of sight. There was nothing close to me. A blood pressure cuff was fastened around my thigh, and an IV threaded out of my hand as precautions. I rolled my eyes as I sighed against the bed. I tried to mindlink Nox but with no success, thanks to my matching silver accessories. Finally, after several minutes of deafening silence, the heavy door creaked open.

"Well, aren't you a sight for sore eyes," the Beta said smugly as an older woman dressed in white scrubs followed him.

"I was hoping you died," I replied plainly as I watched the woman cautiously approach me.

Her salt and pepper hair was brushed back into a small bun, with a few rogue strands draped around her face. Her blue eyes were warm but calculating as smile lines framed her full lips, which were painted a soft, blush pink. She was slender with a commanding presence about her. She stopped just out of arms reach and started to flip through the pages on her clipboard. I tried to peer at what she was reading, but I could only lift my head a few inches. She smiled softly at my efforts.

"My name is Doctor Iaso, head of healing at Night Fang. I have a few questions for you and would like to look over your wounds. Is that alright?" she explained.

I just watched her in silence, wary of her intentions.

"What is your name?" she asked gently as she clicked her pen.

Still, I lay silent.

"She asked you a question, mutt," the Beta ordered.

"It's quite alright, Beta," she spoke as she jotted down some notes, taking in my appearance.

"I'm guessing you will not tell me your age either?" she asked as she quickly looked over.

I shook my head, no, and she wrote down a few more things.

"What is the last thing you remember?" she asked patiently as she crouched down to my eye level with a warm smile, maintaining her distance.

"Your Alpha slamming my head against the ground," I said coldly.

Her eyes grew with shock as she looked over to the Beta, who shrugged.

"Do you mind if I check your head?" she asked as she glanced down at my chains.

There was a silent pause as I looked her over. She was tense and nervous, but her smile never wavered. Enyo didn't seem concerned from her resting spot in the shadows of my mind.

"I won't move," I promised her in a whisper.

She exhaled softly and slowly walked to the other side of the bed, pulling gloves from her pocket out of my eyesight. As I watched the Beta like a hawk, I felt her gently navigate through my matted coils. She would stop when I would grumble but otherwise, she worked quickly.