Chapter Thirty-Seven

We trained for hours after her breakthrough. I was set on reinforcing the importance of the lesson. She stumbled, fell, and almost passed out, but her determination kept her getting back to her feet. I was proud of her fighting spirit. I ran her a bath to ease the aches of her muscles before she would have to venture home. A treat for her hard work.

"This tub is huge!" Diona exclaimed behind the closed door.

"Don't drown. The Doctor would kill me," I called out before lying across my bed.

Enyo had long since retreated to her safe space, leaving only racing thoughts and unease. My mind drifted to the others I had left behind two months ago to venture to the South on a mission. Nox was in charge of keeping constant contact, and I hadn't picked up the duties since we got here, unable to tell them the truth about Nox's state. After this, we will return. Too much time had passed. I looked up as the door to the room jiggled open. The Doctor strolled in with her usual warm smile. She wore a burnt orange V-neck shirt with a quarter-length sleeve and dark-washed jeans. Her hair was loose around her shoulders, kissing her collarbone. I looked at her with a raised brow.

"I don't always walk around in scrubs, Nyx," she said as she rolled her eyes.

I shrugged my shoulders.

"Is Diona still here?" she asked as she looked around.

"She's soaking in the—" I started.

"Hey, Mom!" Diona shouted from the bathroom.

"What are you doing in there?!" Rhea asked with shock.

"Nyx, let me use it!"

"Keep shouting, and I'll never let you in there again," I grumbled.

"It's time to go, Dio. The sun is about to set!" she called out as she walked towards the door.

"That goes for both of you," I added as I sat up.

Rhea turned around and gave me a stern motherly look. I raised my hands in surrender as my eyebrows went up in shock. Rhea helped her in the bathroom as I closed the door to my room, the warriors lining the wall looking over at me. I flipped them off before disappearing.

"Nyx," Rhea reprimanded as she walked from the bathroom with a relaxed Diona behind her.

"I'm—" I began before a chill ran down my spine.

My head snapped to the window as my body suddenly surged with energy. Enyo growled maliciously as she bared her canines, stalking out of the darkness like Hades. The hair stood on the back of my neck as my heart began to race. My nails grew and strengthened into sharp claws. My breath caught in the back of my throat as realization struck me. I looked over at Diona and Rhea. They were both looking at me with worry.

"Protect him with your life. I have to go and save your son," I said before Enyo aggressively surged forward.

She took over instantly as I released control, sensing her urgency. She charged towards the window, her eyes set on the trees ahead. Glass burst out of the window like a bomb from her sheer force. Enyo dragged her transformed claws along the side of the pack house as she fell, slicing through both stone and wood. Once she was close enough to drop safely, she pushed off of the building, transforming midair. Surprisingly, the sheathed knife stayed taped in place on her skin beneath her thick coat. She ran like a flash of lightning as she roared in warning to her upcoming victims and surrounding warriors. Her ears twitched as she heard his voice again, calling for her strength. She pushed against the ground even faster, her muscles screaming in excitement. Chunks of dirt and grass flew behind her as she twisted around the trees, determined to make it in time. Purposefully, she ran through groups of patrolling warriors, imploring them to follow behind her. They wouldn't be able to keep up, but her path of devastation would make her trail clear for them. Within less than an hour, she barreled out of the pack's land, across the neutral ground, and straight into Rogue territory. She took frantic breaths as she searched for his scent in the muck of chaos. We were headed straight for the area where the green signal originated from. I was able to guess how far out from the territory it was based on its trajectory, knowing most of the Rogue territory like the back of my hand.

"We don't have much time," I said as Enyo pushed our body past its limits.

"I'll make it," she grunted as she weaved gracefully on the forest floor, her breath racing her paws.

"We made a vow."

Blood. The iron-tainted odor was full of malignant truth. It was the first thing that greeted us, provoking our inner cravings. The tinge of depravity and insanity was thick in the air as it mixed with the odor of the Night Fang pack. Arrogance and naivety. Soon, Enyo dashed over the bodies of both Rogues & pack members. None of whom we recognized. However, Orion's scent was thick and fresh. Growls and grunts filled the air as the ground shook under Enyo's paws. She heard a feminine whimper and a thud coming from a few feet away. A deadly roar of promise rattled Enyo's chest as she closed in on her unknowing target. As she rounded the last tree, she pounced on top of a large, ragged grey wolf before it could rip out the jugular of the injured chocolate-brown wolf beneath it. The feeling of bones grinding in her teeth filled her with excitement as the wolf's life drained out in the thick grass, the blades sticky with unadulterated violence. Enyo carelessly dropped the body of the Rogue as she took in the surroundings. Orion wasn't here. The chocolate-brown wolf struggled to get to its feet. A large gash ran along its body, blood dripping on the ground beneath her. Enyo looked over the shewolf once before running off into the trees again, disinterested in the additional baggage. She followed the lingering scent of the Delta as she tore through the forest, killing any wolf that crossed her deadly path. We have to make it.