Chapter Sixty-Six

There was a stillness in the suddenly cramped room as Rhea's eyes searched my face for solutions. I could feel Enyo's anxiousness spike as I watched the desperation dripping from the eyes of a mother who had already gone through so much. Orion spoke words of comfort to her, promising to do whatever he could to get his younger sister back. The coward's words held false promises that I decided not to call out. It wasn't the time, and his retribution would come. I hadn't finished with him, my anger hardly stamped out, but I've always believed that good things come to those who wait.

My shoulders slumped as the weight of the situation grew heavier with each passing breath. Enyo whined softly as our minds synced, certainty and unease filling us completely.

"Do you still feel her connection?" I asked softly.

Rhea's eyebrows furrowed as she tried to understand.

"You've felt the disconnect of a severed bond that can only accompany death. You both have, and it's a feeling that you can never forget. So, do you feel the threads of her life vibrating your soul? Do you feel the warmth of love cycling between you, or does it feel like a one-sided connection?" I questioned further.

Rhea took a shaky breath and closed her eyes, a lone tear rolling down her cheek. Within a few breaths, her furrowed brows softened, and her fists unclenched.

"I feel her," Rhea sighed halfheartedly as she opened her eyes.

I nodded.

"If she is smart, I wouldn't worry. She will make it back to you," I said as I looked out the window, unable to handle her vulnerability.

"Can you please help me get her back?" the doctor asked in a shaky tone.

A lone white bird soared in the distant blue sky, singing its song of praise before disappearing into the tall tree line that decorated part of Night Fang. As a fleeting thought crossed my mind, a bright twinkle of light hidden amongst the trees immediately caught the edge of my vision. I quickly examined the surroundings that waited beyond the thick window, interested in locating the light's origin, only to find it to be impossible. Enyo's tail wagged slightly before she sat back on her hind legs, her mind consumed with her own worries.

"Nyx, will—" Rhea began to question again.

"I can't," I interrupted as I looked over to her, careful to keep my facial expression passive.

The shock was evident across her face as her glistening eyes filled once more as melancholy thoughts ravaged her mind. Orion looked over at me questioningly as he held his mother tighter.

"You can't, or you won't?" he challenged.

"Both," I answered without hesitation.

I sighed as I looked back over to the anxiety-riddled doctor.

"I vowed to protect your children," I started, quickly glancing at Orion, "if I leave this pack now, you will lose two in the vein of possibly protecting one."

"I am not asking you to choose between them. I've never been that callous. So, instead, I've made my decision with your best interest in mind," I carefully explained.

"But my daughter—" she began to argue.

"Will be fine," I reassured in a definite tone.

"I can assemble an expedition team to go and g—" Orion started as he hastily tried to formulate a rescue plan.

"They will die," I interrupted.

"How do you know? We have to try!" he rebutted.

"Your last expedition team is resting on the lower level of this hospital. Don't make rash decisions based off of your emotions. You're a Delta, so I would suggest you act like one," I reprimanded, my anger from earlier still simmering.

"My duty as her brother is more important. It is my responsibility to protect her."

"Once you accepted the role of being the Delta of Night Fang, your responsibility became protecting your pack and everyone in it. You would willingly send droves of men to a certain death for the slim chance of saving your sister, who very well might be able to handle it herself? Either you think too lowly of her abilities or this pack."

"How dare you question my loyalties when you have none?! You judge me as if you would not do the same yourself!"

"Orion," Rhea whispered in a shaky tone, weakly trying to quell his festering emotions.

Trademarked property of J.Evo, exclusively on Wattpad.

"I have no loyalties? If I'm not mistaken, I've saved your youngest sister while you were too busy cutting down a man who was worth more than your weight in gold. I've saved you and most of your expedition team without batting an eye. I've done more for this shit hole of a pack, who would rather make me watch as they tortured my brother to death before leaving me to bleed out in that disgusting cell full of innocent wolves, solely because of my regard and vow to your mother. I am still here because I know that without me, your entire family would be killed in this war. Do not speak on the things you can't begin to comprehend! You couldn't make it a few days in the trees that hold my life. We are not the same!" I roared, frustration and rage seeping from my pores.

"When you are able to kill an Alpha on your own, then you come and talk to me," I spat with venom.

"Nyx!" Rhea called out, her voice strengthening as was her annoyance.

Orion growled as his eyes narrowed, pissed by my disrespectful challenge.

"When I say something, I mean it. Alexandra is safer out there than she is here," I said in a matter-of-fact tone, mindful of Rhea's warning while completely ignoring Orion's threatening rumbling.

"How can you be so sure? Her team was ambushed. Even High Moon's wolves are missing," Rhea asked, subtly stepping in between Orion and me.

"Simple. She's not their intended target. This pack is. If she was, her connection would've been severed the moment she was taken."

"If you go outside the borders, they will be there waiting for you. Whoever your Alpha pissed off wants to slaughter every pack wolf with a title, saving the most important for last. Hence, Orion, the newly claimed Delta, was overtaken the moment he ventured too far for your wolves to reach him before he bled out. They counted on the attack to force more warriors to venture into Rogue's territory, maybe even betting on the Alpha's temper to push him to join. Alphas are not known to ignore challenges to their ability to protect their packs, and this is no different. It would've been the most effective way to get what they wanted or at least weaken the pack's defenses as they picked off the warriors one by one," I explained as I glanced between them.

"What makes you so sure?" Orion asked in a strained tone as he tried to push past his emotions.

"It's what I would've done if I felt lazy," I shrugged.