Chapter Seventy-Five

Rhea's POV

My head began to ache as a barrage of mindlinks from the hospital staff began to come in all at once.

"Council guards are going into the hospital rooms!"

"Send help to the maternity wing. The noises are waking up the pups."

"I don't think I will be able to keep them out of the ICU ward for much longer, Dr. Iaso!"

"They are barraging up the stairs to the restricted wing on orders of the Council. I can't stop them."

.

.

.

"I've lost sight of Diona in the chaos. I will find her, Dr. Iaso."

I rose to my feet as my heartbeat drummed wildly in my ears, anger curling my spine. I hastily made my way out of the row I was seated on, only stopping at the sound of the council member's smug voice.

"Dr. Iaso, the meeting is far from over. Please return to your seat and listen to your Alpha's announcements," Elder Anthis warned as she leisurely crossed her legs.

"There are several emergencies at the hospital that need my immediate attention. Might I have your consent to go and tend to our vulnerable pack members?" I asked as I directed my attention to Alpha Maddox.

Alpha Maddox regarded me with subtle interest as his agitation dampened slightly in his narrowed eyes. Before the words that weighed his tongue had the chance to fall, Elder Palas interrupted, taking full advantage of the Alpha's hesitation.

"Your staff can handle the emergencies while you attend the rest of Alpha Maddox's meeting. It is your job to ensure that the hospital can run without your constant presence. It is imperative to give this meeting your full attention...unless that is being divided with the guilt of hoarding a Rogue," Elder Palas probed with devious intent hanging between his words,

Soft gasps surrounded me as cherished pack members looked at me with inspired suspicion and confusion.

"I have given you no reason to accuse me of such. I can assure you that my concerns lie with the new mothers with their roused pups, my patients still recovering from their brush with death after the last excursion that was commissioned, and my daughter, whose mindlinked failed as soon as your guards flooded what is supposed to be a secure space. I do not doubt that my staff will be able to handle the patients. Still, it is my responsibility as Head of Medicine to ensure they have the support they need, even during unplanned invasions," I calmly addressed the Council, my maternal instincts adding conviction behind each word.

"I—" Elder Palas began, trying to cut my words short.

"Alpha Maddox, if I may, I would like to support my staff as they address the needs of our recovering pack members who have been thrust into panic," I continued, refusing to give my attention to anyone else.

Alpha Maddox leaned forward in his seat, completely ignoring the pain from his already healing wounds.

"You are permitted to leave just this once, Dr. Iaso. I will not allow further distractions as we prepare for war," Alpha Maddox answered after a momentary pause.

I turned to rush out of the room, but the Alpha's voice stopped me in my tracks.

"Beware, Doctor, I better not hear reports of Rogues hiding in the hospital, or the punishment that will await you will be severe," Alpha Maddox warned, Luce flashing in his irises.

"Of course," was all I could manage before I rushed out of the Grand Hall, my white shoes squeaking against the polished hardwood floors.

--