Chapter Forty

Hours had passed before I could hear thundering footsteps in the distance. They would be here within the next hour. By the time we will return to the packhouse, night will be thick around us. The wispy smell of smoke had tickled my senses a while ago. Now the only thing that clogged my nostrils was the decaying smell of the Rogue near me. I looked over at Kass, who was determined to protect her pack members, her eyes never ceasing to analyze the nearby foliage. She was ready for the next attack...or so she thought. I stretched slowly, my spine popping deliciously down my back. I then gracefully dismounted from the vibrant tree, my feet landing silently on the ground despite the distance. I walked over to the Rogue with a grimace as I rolled my shoulders.

"Let's make this quick," Enyo muttered as I began to pick up the body.

She had remained unwavering by my side, true to her intentions. I grabbed the now cold heart before shouldering the weight of the body with a grunt.

"What are you doing?" Kass asked, confused.

"I'll be back," I answered before walking into the thickets of the nearby bushes.

--

The smell of smoke clung to my skin as I dipped my hands into a nearby stream. I looked at my dual-colored irises in the reflection, fatigue evident in the beautiful mix. The freckles that peppered my cheeks seemed livelier in the bright moonlight. It had been months since my face looked so full and flush. My lips were plump and pink as my nutrient-rich blood flowed through them. Maybe the Doctor was right about her strict feeding regimen. Who would've guessed? I sighed as I rose to my feet, the blood and smoke now rinsed away. Let's go see that, Alpha.

--

"Where is she?" a deep, rich, baritone voice asked in frustration.

"I d—" Kass started.

I walked out from behind the tree, halting Kass' explanation. The bare Alpha turned around, his amber irises finding me immediately. I looked away before walking to Orion's undisturbed form. The Beta stepped in my way, folding his arms over his chest. I noticed the new warriors slowly circling around me. I rolled my eyes as my tongue clicked against the top of my mouth.

"What did you do, mutt?" the Beta spat.

"I went for a nice jog," I answered casually.

He scoffed.

"You broke out of the packhouse, destroyed the Alpha's property, an—" he began.

"She saved all of us," Kass said in a low tone.

The Beta turned quickly, looking at her with disgust. The Alpha dismissed the warriors that surrounded us.

"Search the area for survivors," the Alpha ordered before the warriors disappeared from his eyesight.

I watched as they went without hesitation.

"What happened?" he asked, looking between Kass and me.

Kass kneeled before the Alpha and bared her neck.

"We entered the Rogues' territory two days ago. As soon as we stepped foot in the tree line, it felt as if a million eyes were watching us. No matter how we searched or altered our movements, we could never find or lose them. It wasn't until we got closer to the origin point, did they started to attack us. They came in never-ending waves. We held strong for as long as we could, but slowly we started to fall. Nikias was far ahead of me, trying to cut through the chaos so we would have a fighting chance. The Delta followed in his wake, cleaning up those who fell in place of their fallen. If it wasn't for them, we would've all been slaughtered. The Rogues separated us shortly after, using their knowledge of this terrain to their advantage. I protected the fallen warriors as long as I could, but I started losing my footing. Before that disgusting Rogue could take my life, she came," she explained with emotion clouding her eyes.